Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JJ_1
Level 3

I need to amend for a second time, here's my situation. PLEASE HELP.

Guys, I REALLY need your help.

Here's the timeline:

1. In 2020, I filed my 2019 taxes via TurboTax online.

2. In 2021, I filed my 2020 taxes via TurboTax online.

3. In 2022, while I was doing my 2021 taxes via TurboTax online, I noticed an issue with my 2019 taxes (that's the first year I started renting out my primary residence).

4. I tried to amend both via TurboTax online but had technical difficulties so TurboTax sent me a 2019 and 2020 desktop version of TurboTax.

5. With the help of TurboTax support, I was able to do my amendments for both 2019 and 2020. To do that I had to open the 2019 Desktop application, "pretend" I filed my 2019 taxes via the Desktop app so I could go back to it and then start the amendment. I had to do the same for the 2020 taxes. This worked and I was able to file by mail.

6. After getting all frustrated with all of this, I decided to go with full service in TurboTax to do my 2021 taxes. While the CPA was going through it, she found an issue with my 2019 and 2020 taxes. An issue ON TOP OF the two amendments I had done. There was some minor tweaks needed on the rental depreciation. 

7. I then went back to the 2019 desktop application and managed to fix it and mailed it with a note saying this is the SECOND amendment (not sure if that helps).

8. I then opened the 2020 application and loaded the NEW 2019 data along with BAD 2020 data that I needed to fix.

9. I'm now finishing up the 2020 amendment but had some questions.

So at this point, I sent 2 amendments for 2019 and 1 for 2020. 

The second amendment is correct for 2019 and the one and only for 2020 is incorrect and is the one I'm fixing right now.

1. I cannot wait for the IRS to process the 2 amendments for 2019 and the amendment for 2020 because I need to finish my 2021 taxes. I can only do my 2021 taxes once my corrected amendments for 2019 and 2020 are done due to rental depreciation, etc. 

2. On the 2020 amendment that I'm working on right now, it asks "Confirm Previous Refund or Tax Paid. Before we complete your amended return, confirm your refund you originally received, or the tax you paid. Leave blank if none. Important: Add any amount applied from your original return to the refund amount shown below." 

So the question is: what refund/payment should I plug into this box? The refund/payment I ORIGINALLY made on 2020 return OR the refund/payment I made on the AMEDMENT? 

Any suggestions on what I should do at this point? I just need to finish my SECOND 2020 amendment so I can finish my 2021 file. I have not filed my 2021 taxes yet because of this issue.

THANK YOU.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Your answers are provided here below your questions.

Question: I can only do my 2021 taxes once my corrected amendments for 2019 and 2020 are done due to rental depreciation, etc.

• No, you do not have to wait.  You can do your 2021 taxes correctly with the corrected information now.  You do not have to wait until the amendments are completed and/or processed.

Question: So the question is: what refund/payment should I plug into this box? The refund/payment I ORIGINALLY made on 2020 return OR the refund/payment I made on the AMEDMENT?  

• Add the refund from the original return and the refund from the first amended return together to account for the full and complete refund you should have received on those two returns.  You assume they have been processed even though the first amendment may not be yet.
    • NOTE: Also, make sure to mark at the top of your Form 1040-X '2nd Amendment' so the IRS knows there is another in case they have not processed the first amendment yet. They are in a state of tremendous backlog at the moment.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Your answers are provided here below your questions.

Question: I can only do my 2021 taxes once my corrected amendments for 2019 and 2020 are done due to rental depreciation, etc.

• No, you do not have to wait.  You can do your 2021 taxes correctly with the corrected information now.  You do not have to wait until the amendments are completed and/or processed.

Question: So the question is: what refund/payment should I plug into this box? The refund/payment I ORIGINALLY made on 2020 return OR the refund/payment I made on the AMEDMENT?  

• Add the refund from the original return and the refund from the first amended return together to account for the full and complete refund you should have received on those two returns.  You assume they have been processed even though the first amendment may not be yet.
    • NOTE: Also, make sure to mark at the top of your Form 1040-X '2nd Amendment' so the IRS knows there is another in case they have not processed the first amendment yet. They are in a state of tremendous backlog at the moment.
JJ_1
Level 3

Thank you for the reply @DianeW777 !

So when I'm plugging in this number for my 2nd 2020 amendment, do I take into account the refunds/payments for my 2019 return as well or should I only worry about the refunds/payments for 2020 ONLY?

Thank you.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you only worry about the refunds/payments on your 2020 original return and first 2020 amendment when you are completing the amendment.

JJ_1
Level 3

THANK YOU!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies