Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mailed my federal return 6 weeks ago it still says that haven't received / can't provide any information about my refund? Should I be concerned?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies

I mailed my federal return 6 weeks ago it still says that haven't received / can't provide any information about my refund? Should I be concerned?

You wrote:  "I mailed my federal return 6 weeks ago it still says that haven't received / can't provide any information about my refund? Should I be concerned?"

So did you print, sign, date, and physically mail the return yourself to the IRS?   TurboTax does not mail it for you.

And if you also had a state return, hopefully you mailed the two returns separately--the Federal return to the IRS and the state return to the state tax agency.  We have seen some filers mail both to the state by mistake and nothing to the IRS (or vice versa).

Normally it's best when mailing things to a tax agency to use a method that has tracking such as certified mail, priority mail, etc.

So if you DID physically mail the return correctly to the IRS, you can use the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool.   Is it saying it can't find your information?

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

First be sure you are using the tool correctly; i.e., correct SSN and filing status.

For the Federal refund amount, use only the Federal refund amount.  Do not use any combined total refund figure that includes the state refund.

Look at your actual 2019 return to get the Federal refund amount.  Be sure you are using what is displayed on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a for the Federal refund amount.

If it still doesn't find your information, you are going to be in limbo, since you won't know if it's been received (if you didn't use tracking), whether it's hung up in processing due to Coronavirus, or what.  And the IRS call centers are closed for the time being.

In the best of circumstances, it normally takes 4 weeks for a mailed return to show up in the IRS WMR tool.  It "normally" takes at least 6 weeks to get a refund after a mailed paper return.  With the Coronavirus situation, however, all bets are off, with the IRS severely limited.  In fact, with so many personnel on leave I don't believe they are processing any paper returns right now.

Yes sweetie I physically printed, signed, dated and mailed my returns, in two separate envelopes 😉 I already recieved my state refund but they have no information on my federal return. I know I'm entering the information correctly on wheres my refund. I mailed my return march 1st and still cannot track it on w.m.r. and of course I cant call the irs either lol 

If you haven't already done so, you can also try phoning the IRS Refund Hotline. I've seen it work for some users before when the WMR tool didn't.

800-829-1954

Otherwise, unfortunately it's a limbo period for many folks with the IRS not processing paper returns for the most part and with the IRS live assistance call centers not taking calls.

Did you get any information on your taxes? i am in the same boat i mailed my taxes to kansas missouri in the middle of march. until today i have no update on my taxes. i tried calling in local offices and they are all closed. i got back my state taxes but nothing from my federal. i know its not recommended but what would happen if i refile by electronic if i filed by paper? 

Thanks for any help

@needtaxhelp22 wrote:

Did you get any information on your taxes? i am in the same boat i mailed my taxes to kansas missouri in the middle of march. until today i have no update on my taxes. i tried calling in local offices and they are all closed. i got back my state taxes but nothing from my federal. i know its not recommended but what would happen if i refile by electronic if i filed by paper? 

Thanks for any help

The IRS has not been processing any mailed paper returns the last several weeks due to the Coronavirus situation.   There will be a backlog once they start processing again. The IRS also says not to file a second return.

If you file 2 returns, it might confuse the IRS and lead to even further delays, IRS letters, etc.  The following is the current info displayed at the IRS website and dated May 19:

"The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your Economic Impact Payment. "

You can check the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool every few days to see if it starts to show up there.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

When using the IRS WMR tool, be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.

Use only the Federal refund amount.  Do not use any combined total refund figure that includes the state refund.  Look at your actual 2019 return to get the Federal refund amount.  Be sure you are using what is displayed on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a for the Federal refund amount.

And if you are paying your TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund, use the Federal amount without regard to the fee subtraction; i.e., the amount before any fees are subtracted.

It has been 3 months since I mailed my 2019 federal tax return and still nothing. They cannot provide any information about my refund when I inquire. I received my state return in less then 3 weeks. Yes I mailed it to the correct address. Should I refile , since you can't get in touch with anyone to give you a answer. This is getting very frustrating since we pay so much in taxes and there is no one to help us!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You should not refile.  The IRS is not processing or scanning tax returns at this time as offices are not currently staffed with workers to perform these tasks.  It is not yet known when the processing of paper returns will take place. 

The IRS is storing documents securely until workers return to offices and will process the returns in the order received once processing resumes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Have to received your refund yet? Just wondering because I helped my mother in law with her returns which were mailed the beginning of March and she still has not received her federal refund either. 

needtaxhelp22- have you received your refund yet? Just trying to gauge if anyone has had any luck yet?

pleasehelp1750... Have you received your refund yet? 

They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Do you know if that is all the locations where returns were mailed?

All offices and processing centers where closed for some or all of the past 3 months so mail has been stacking up everywhere ... if you are sure you mailed it to the correct address then all you can do is wait patiently while the IRS gets back up to speed and tries to catch up.

Yes I understand that. What I meant was that online I only see information that some of the locations are starting to process mail. Trying to find out if they are all now starting to process mail or not? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies