Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pagejson

I have a letter from the IRS stating I owe $2,800. They aren't counting this year my disabled brother as a dependent. No-one answers the phone at the IRS, due today??

My brother is disabled and I pay the rent and bills. I've added him as a dependent for years. TurboTax didn't say it was in error this year. This seems like a mistake, but I cannot get anyone on the phone at the IRS. The letter says it was issued on May 16th, but it arrived at my house in the mail on June 1st. I had until today to get them their money, which is crazy. How am I supposed to dispute this and not get charged late fees and interest per day?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have a letter from the IRS stating I owe $2,800. They aren't counting this year my disabled brother as a dependent. No-one answers the phone at the IRS, due today??

Exactly $2800 sounds like a mix up regarding the 3rd stimulus or EIP.   Did you receive $1400 per person last year for yourself and your brother that you claimed as a dependent?   And on your tax return, did you forgot to enter that you received it?   Did you have $2800 on line 30?   You cannot get the stimulus AND the recovery rebate credit.   If the IRS took away the $2800 credit, that may be why you owe.

LOTS of people have made mistakes this year with the recovery rebate credit by "forgetting" that they received the $1400 per person stimulus checks last year.  They answered no to the questions for the  recovery recovery rebate credit and put the $1400 per person on line 30 of their returns.  But you cannot get it twice, so the IRS removes it when it is there by mistake.

Try checking your online account with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $1400 on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $1400 last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

the letter from IRS should tell you what to do and by when to dispute the IRS finding so you don't have to pay right away.

If you don't act timely, IRS will start to bill you.

@pagejson 

How much did you have on line 30?  
How many dependents do you have?

Did you get a IRS letter 6475 saying they sent you 2800?  Each spouse gets a letter for half.  So I think you had 2 dependents and got 5600 (1400x4).  But only entered one letter for 2800.  So it gave you 2800 on line 30.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

The IRS records show they already sent you the 3rd Stimulus payment.   But you you tried to get it again.  Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account (both accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

@pagejson - there was a point in the interview process where TT asked how much you received for the 3rd stimulus payment..... what did you answer? 

Look at Line 30 of your tax return.  You were eligible for the REcovery Rebate Credit or the 3rd stimulus, but not both.

the math on line 30 is quite simple: number of people listed on your tax return Times $1400 LESS what you received last March - May, 2021 but not less than zero. 

if there are just two of you on your tax return and Line 30 is $2800, then the IRS records are that they already sent that money to you.  Review you March - May, 2021 bank account statements! (do not depend on your memory - really look at the statements!)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies