turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had to amend my return for the unemployment refund. I got a deposit today but it was much less than what account shows I should have got. No offset either help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I had to amend my return for the unemployment refund. I got a deposit today but it was much less than what account shows I should have got. No offset either help?

the IRS did not want amended returns unless certain forms or credits were not present on the return based on the original filing. nevrertheless, what you probably received was the refund due on the original return as filed. the IRS will send the UC adjustment later. 

So are you saying the deposit i got was the amend return amount or the  unemployment return?  Or is one in the same?  Also will I be getting more refunded or?

It is taking the IRS six months or more to process amended returns;   if you sent in an amended return recently it is unlikely that the IRS has even looked at it yet.  And when you get a refund for an amended return it is never by direct deposit.  When the IRS sends a refund for an amended return they will only mail a check to the address on your tax return.

So the deposit was likely the automatic "extra" refund the IRS is sending after they recalculated your refund.   The IRS does not want amended returns for the change in the unemployment tax law.   They are recalculating refunds for people who filed before the law changed in the middle of the tax season and sending out extra refunds if you paid tax on the first $10,200 of unemployment.

Sit tight.    Do not send anything else in to the IRS for now.   We cannot see what you put on your Form 1040X or know why the amount of the "extra" refund is less than you think it should be.   Many people get very confused by amended returns so we do not know if you entered or looked at the right information on your Form 1040X.    Eventually when the IRS processes the Form 1040X they will reconcile the "extra" refund already sent to you with any possible refund still owed to you on the 1040X.

Do not expect quick results from an amended return.   It is taking at least six months and sometimes longer for them to process---yours will take more attention since you went ahead and amended AND got the automatic extra refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was sent an email from my tax preparer that I needed to amend my return so that was the only reason I did so. I also checked the status of the amend return over last few days and it's changed from processing to adjusted now so it's getting somewhere..said I should get notification on what that adjustment is within 3 weeks so assuming I'll be looking for something in the mail. 

Also so you said the "extra" tax refund a few times so is that the unemployment refund that i got deposited or explain what the 'extra' refund is you said?  

So I'm just curious still how or if I will be getting back anything for amend return or what?  You sound like you know a lot of this subject so just trying to get anymore information I can I'd be grateful. Appreciate it so much. 

@Lilmama56    As stated already---since we have no way to see your tax return, it is impossible to say whether you are going to receive any additional refund based on the amended return ---the Form 1040X--- that you sent in.    You have apparently already received the recalculated refund for unemployment that was issued to you  automatically by the IRS.    That might be all that you get, and you may have sent in a totally unnecessary amended return.   If that is the case, the IRS will cross check and see that you already received the adjusted amount and will not send an additional refund for the amended return.

You are expecting to hear something about that amended return within weeks----that may be unrealistic even though the IRS says they will post something within "three weeks. "  That is the "normal" time it takes to see something on the amended return refund site.  These are NOT normal times.    It is taking the IRS six months and sometimes more to process amended returns.

Lower your expectations----do not expect a direct deposit and do not expect a quick check.   You just have to wait out the IRS now, and it might take months before you know what ---if anything---they are doing with the amended return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much for responding  so quickly. I do appreciate any type of information anyone can give me.  

I don't have my expectations up high just genuinely curious as to what the deposit was for because I truly didn't know if it was the unemployment or amend. That's why I asked to begin with so I am grateful for your response!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies