Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had 2 offices last year. Should I allocate my Form 8829 loss carryover to just one of the offices? Otherwise TT would have me enter that twice as it walks me thru.

In other words, TT asks me twice (once for each office) what line 43 from last year is, so I'm not sure if it's double counting the deduction.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I had 2 offices last year. Should I allocate my Form 8829 loss carryover to just one of the offices? Otherwise TT would have me enter that twice as it walks me thru.

Allocate the carryover loss to the office that was on your 2020 tax return since that is the office that generated the loss.  

@Donna3

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here is TurboTax Help information that will explain how to enter two offices.

Click on the correct link for your situation: Each business has its own separate home office or Two different home offices for the same business.

Thanks, but that information does not address my question.  I asked about form 8829 loss carryover, not about the % allocation of expenses between the two offices.  

TT walks me through the office expenses for both offices, same questions each time.  Both times it asks me if I had a loss on line 43 of Form 8829 last year.  If I enter that amount for both offices, it seems like I'm taking the 2020 loss twice, one for each office. The two offices were due to a move.  Please clarify.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Allocate the carryover loss to the office that was on your 2020 tax return since that is the office that generated the loss.  

@Donna3

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies