turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a w-2 from a old job but I did not work there in 2015. How is this possible?

I got my mail today and a W-2 came in from a company I use to work for in Indiana. I resigned from that job December of 2014. Why am I getting a W-2 when I already got one for the 2014 year when I filed in 2015.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

I got a w-2 from a old job but I did not work there in 2015. How is this possible?

You would have to ask them why you got it.  They probably paid you for Dec 2014 in early January 2015.

How much was listed on the w-2 for 2015. If you quit at the end of 2014, it's very likely you may have gotten a final check the first week of January.

What's the amounts on the W2 say? Does it say you earned anything?

I does say that I made money. But not enough for a weeks pay.

That's why you got a w2. That is still income earned.

I checked all of my recent pay stubs from them and not one check amounts to that money. Another issue is that I have already filed my taxes.

Well if you've filed already then just forget about it. If you don't remember working there for much last year then it won't be enough of an amount to matter

@nikkitomasiak if this is a legit W-2, you will need to amend your return to add it.  If you don't, the IRS will send you a CP2000 notice when they notice that your return does not match your W-2s.  So you need to find out what this is for and either get it rescinded by the company, or amend your return.

Really it all just depends on the amount. I had this same prob a few years ago. I didn't get a w2 in the mail until July and my file deadline is April 15. It was only for 200 so it wasn't a big deal. If its under 500 you can get away without claiming it. So you can either take your chances and hope you don't get audited. Or you can report it and this drag out for months, possibly all year.

You need to ask them.  I would not file until you get an answer you understand. There are a few reasons that they might need to adjust your W-2, but if you really quit in 2014, they probably should have corrected your 2014 W-2 instead of issuing a new one.

You may have received a check in Jan for work performed in Dec.  You may have also received a commission check later.  The W-2 is determined by when you received the money, not when you earned it.  Also, as far as amending the return, if it's a small amount then just let the IRS adjust your return.  That costs you nothing except perhaps a few more dollars in taxes due.  If they charge penalty and/or interest, then just write them a letter to request a waiver of the P&I due to the fact that you had already filed your return before receiving the W-2 which you were not expecting.  They will usually waive it unless you are a habitual offender.  Good luck.

I am also going through this same thing. The employer I worked for stated I worked for them in 2015. I quit 2014 in December. They made my W2 for 2015 the EXACT same as 2014: 13,656. So now I’m having to pay all the taxes and interest and penalties due to this. I was not working for them as I was pregnant with my daughter at this time and in and out of the hospital.  They now have sold said business and idk where to start. What can I do? 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Could you please clarify did just receive a notice from the IRS about your 2015 W-2 and the tax, interest and penalty due?

@babyviolin2005

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LeonardS I did indeed. I received a cp2000 saying I didn’t report my 2015 W2 for this employer. And now I have to pay 3500$ with Interest and penalties. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies