Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed electronically but I still have to print & snail-mail all these pages? Dozens of pages of both federal & state??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

I filed electronically but I still have to print & snail-mail all these pages? Dozens of pages of both federal & state??

Since the tax returns were e-filed there is nothing you need to mail to either the IRS or to your State.  That is the whole reason for filing electronically.

Why do you think you have to mail it?  If you e-filed your tax return and it was accepted, it was all done electronically.  You do not mail the return.   You can print it for your own records if you want to.

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds         

Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note:  If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Only on my federal, I opted to mail in a check rather than be charged $40 to pay electronically, I am receiving a refund from State. So I have to print out all 35 pages of the federal and mail with my check?  sheesh

Okay but I opted to pay federal by check, on state I am receiving a refund. So I don't have to print out and mail state but I do have to print out and mail federal then? All 35 pages? Seems ridiculous

NO.   If you e-filed your federal return all you need to mail with your check is the 1040V voucher.  You do not have to mail any of the other pages.

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, (which has the address printed on it, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-pay-my-irs-tax-due-with-a-check-or-mone... 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Additionally, there are no e-file fees when using the TurboTax online editions, federal or state.

The TurboTax account fees are for use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

So we would NOT have to pay for e-filing state if we used the online version?  But when we paid over 60 bucks for the desktop version, we DO have to pay extra for e-filing the state return?  That is beyond annoying.

Also, I have tried and tried, and still cannot determine exactly WHICH forms I would be expected to print off, for mailing in the state return.  SO ANNOYING, Turbo Tax.

@hhunter1111 In the File section of the program select Print/Save for your records.  Select Save a PDF.  Select All official forms required for filing.

Yes, I KNOW I can print a whole lot of pages, and then snail-mail them. 

Again, my complaint is this:  why should I get a free state e-filing with the ONLINE product but not the DESKTOP version.  I paid over 60.00 for this thing (Premier) and now I have to do all this printing and snail-mailing?

I was already annoyed, but now I find out that you DO offer it for free, for those who use the online version  only.

OK, here is a better explanation of why I have questions.

The TurboTax instructions simply say to "print your return" and mail it in.  They do NOT specify that I need to print the Federal return also (or NOT?), as in past years.  I went looking all over the internet to find out if I must print off the entire federal return as well, and have had little luck with that.

So...what is the answer? Must I print off the state return AND the entire federal return as well, to mail?

The pricing is structured very differently for online TurboTax and online.  With online, if you use a paid version such as Deluxe, you will pay $59 for your federal return and another $59 for a state return.  That is more than using the CD/download would cost you.  And that would be for only one person (or married couple's) return.  With online you get one return per fee; with the CD/download you get up to five federal e-files and up to five state e-files (although you pay if you e-file those state returns).    So....evaluate your needs and choose whichever is more cost effective for you----CD/download or online.

In answer to your other question---if you choose to print and mail your state return to avoid the state e-file fee---you tell the software that you want to print the state for mailing and it prints out only the pages you need to mail to the state.  There are some states that require a copy of your federal 1040 with your mailed state return--state tax laws vary for that.    You do not mail anything to the IRS.  

Thank you that is helpful.  But...I still don't have a complete answer, then, do I?  Because, it seems to me that your state software should KNOW whether or not I need to send the fed return in to Oklahoma.  Can you answer that for me, then?

And believe me, I am surprised that I have to bug you for it.  I already went to the OK state site, trying to ascertain this.  They do not give the answer.  I looked all over for it.  Really frustrating.

The software does  know.  When you choose to print out the state return for filing by mail, if your state requires a copy of the 1040, then a copy will print out with your state return.  If your state does not require a copy of the federal 1040, it will not be included with the pages you print out to mail to the state.   

But now that you have been specific about which state---include a copy of the federal 1040 if you are filing an OK return by mail.

Thank you for your prompt replies.  I did not expect that on April 15!

As to why I asked you all this though, I would like to point out that it would help a lot, if Turbo Tax would explicitly SAY, on its "State filing instructions page", what you have now told me.  The trouble is, when you say "Print Forms needed for filing", there are check-boxes for federal vs state.  It is not clear (at least not to ME), whether I should leave both of those checked, for my state, or not.

I appreciate the answer.  Now I will go and complain to my state of Oklahoma, for making me print and mail all that!  ha

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies