Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed but realized I forgot to enter something that impacts my federal tax due (not state). If my tax return is still accepted, can I use Turbotax to make the correction?

I'm assuming/hoping that the return will come back rejected since my filing amount was incomplete/incorrect, but in case this error isn't caught, can I use Turbotax to file an amended return? If so, how? 

And if not, what is the process? 

Also, what will happen regarding the amounts? For example, suppose the following:

- Fed tax due: $100
- Fed tax payment I submitted (due to forgetting to add  some information): $60

When I file an amended return, do I pay the full $100, or the $40 difference remaining? If the former, how will I get the $40 back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I e-filed but realized I forgot to enter something that impacts my federal tax due (not state). If my tax return is still accepted, can I use Turbotax to make the correction?

if accepted you'll need to amend and pay the additional tax 

You can get the Instructions for Form 1040-X at https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040x

@doucepoire 

Thank you @Mike9241 . Can that be done within the same Turbotax Desktop product on my Mac, that I used to eFile? 

You must use the same program and the program must know that your 1040 was ACCEPTED.

@doucepoire 

Thank you @fanfare . I just checked Turbotax eFiling status and they came back accepted. Now, how do I use it to file the 1040-x? 

I found the following article on filing the amendment: 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

On the 4th bullet point, the article says "Once you begin your amendment..." but it doesn't say how to do it!

btw what I forgot to do was add my Social Security benefits to my income. That's all that needs to be corrected. 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to amend your return since you left off part of your income. 

If you add the income and your result does not change you don't need to file your amendment. I mention that because whether your Social Security income is taxable, depends on your filing status and the amount of other income you have. 

To amend your return in TurboTax online:

1. Sign in to TurboTax using the same account you used to file your taxes. 
  2. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select 2022.
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue.
  5. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select the topic you need to change. 
  6. Continue through the screens and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return

To amend your return in TurboTax Desktop (from a disc or download):

1. Open the TurboTax CD/Download software for the year you're amending.
  2. Under Need to File an Amended Return?, select Amend a Filed Return
  3. Select Amend for the return you need to amend
  4. On the We’ll help you change (amend) your return screen, select Continue
  5. Select Yes, I’ve already filed my return
  6. Choose the option that best applies when asked Tell us a little more about your amend situation and Continue
  7. On the next screen, select Update next to the info you need to change
  8. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return
  9. Don’t forget to select Save As (or Duplicate on Mac) from the File menu when you save a copy of your amended return. This will preserve the tax return you originally filed.
  10. Give the file a different name from the original, like 2022_amended_tax_return_Smith
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @JulieS ! 

I have Turbotax Desktop for Mac, Home & Business. I am not seeing the "Need to File an Amended Return?" from your second bullet point. Where is it located? 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here for additional instructions.  If you still aren't able to locate that section in your software, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here so we can assist you further.  

@doucepoire 

Hi - I already referenced that help article (see above). 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for clarifying.  If you have attempted all help here with no resolution, please reach out to us directly.  I have provided the link above on how to do that.  

@doucepoire 

[edited 3/20/23 11:00 AM CDT]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies