Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I didn't receive my full federal refund

No I did not put zero on third stimulus, I enter it correctly just the child tax credit we have not received the half of it. I doubled check it.what should I do next?can we get that half child tax credit?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you able to view the computation that the software made for the actual Child Tax Credit?

If you can view the entire 2021 1040 Federal tax return at Tax Tools / Print Center, you will see: 

• Line 12 of Federal Schedule 8812 which computes the total Child Tax Credit, and
  • Line 28 of the Federal 1040 which reports the refundable amount. 

The full amount of the Child Tax Credit is not reported on the 2021 1040 Federal tax return, only the net amount after applying the advance payments.

To view Federal 1040 line 28, go to Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040.

See also this TurboTax Help.

@ezekielalexzander

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes I can view my whole form line 12 of my from schedule 8812 is $7,200 while my line 28 in federal 1040 is $3,600.we received the half of it last year but when we received our refund this year IRS didn’t add the remaining credits..what should we do?

If you received half of it----you got $3600 already between July and December.   You only get another $3600----not $7200.    If line 28 has $3600 that is the correct amount.   Do the math---keep going down from line 28.   That $3600 was included in your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I checked my refund status through irs website and it said they adjust my refund,and they will send me notice of the explainations. They give me details here maybe my computations was wrong. Or I don’t know.. I’m so frustrated. Thanks for your reply anyway.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You should receive a letter in the mail with an explanation. Please refer to the following article for more information on a refund offset.  

What is a refund offset? 

No they did not. they've barely acknowledged the missing funds. I haven't even received the  payment from their 2021 economic recovery plan, so now they owe me around $3400.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

You will need to contact the IRS. Please see How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? for more information, including the IRS phone number and hours of operation. You may want to try calling right when they open since they have been very busy throughout the day.

@christianjv8462

I got my state and half my federal what happened to the other half I didn't get of my federal how do I find out?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

For questions about your refund, please reach out to Santa Barbara Tax Products Group as they are the service provider of Pay with Refund. You can contact SBTPG toll-free at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website.

@Dtullier28

Irvinsolt
Returning Member

My refund was to be $4,287.00 and the IRS sent me $3,689.00, is there a way I can find out why.

Irvin W. Solt

MY REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/why-is-my-direct-deposited-refund-or-check-lower-than...

Did you enter  ALL of the stimulus money that you had already received correctly in the recovery rebate credit section when you prepared your tax return?  The IRS cross checks and if you did not enter all of the money you received, they recalculate your refund.  We are seeing a lot of people who somehow forgot to enter the stimulus checks of $1400 per person that they received.  Are you missing an amount that is $1400 per person?

There can be a number of reasons why your refund was less than the amount you expected. First of all, look carefully at your actual tax returns.  There is sometimes confusion about the amount of refund to expect when users misinterpret the “summary” they saw in TurboTax. The amount of your refund is on your tax return.  Federal refund is on line 35a on Form 1040  State tax forms are all different so we cannot tell you what line to look at on your state form.  BUT it is important to actually LOOK at your tax return forms yourself and see the amounts of your tax refunds and/or tax due.  A lot of confusion would be avoided by doing that.

Be aware also that your Federal refund and state refund do NOT come together.  Federal and state tax returns are processed by two completely separate entities.  There is no rule as to which one will come first,

It is also possible that your state reduced your refund for debts owed in your state—if the state reduced your state refund you will receive a letter from the state.

A possible (and common) reason for the reduction could be that the recovery rebate credit was completed incorrectly and you may have entered the amount of stimulus already received wrong, which could have reduced the refund you thought you were seeing.  If you said you did not receive the $1400 per person stimulus, and your Form 1040 had an amount on it, the IRS reduced your refund if their records showed that you got that money last year.

Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

What is Refund Processing Service?

refund offset.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-is-a-refund-offset/00/26301

Reduced Refund      https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes or child support, you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.  It is also possible that the IRS caught a mistake you made and reduced your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This is happening to hundred of people. Just about everyone who used TurboTax.  I’m shorted 170$ I see some shorted 40$-5000$. Turbo tax needs to issue some sort of statement before this gets out of hand. If WE shorted them, we would go to jail and be fined a hefty bill. So THEY need to be held responsible. 

Nothing is charged, nothing was taken from pass due.nothing is owed.
they took our money plain and simple not our fault. I haven’t received an email or a real response. Stop defending TurboTax when they won’t even speak up for their own mistakes and their own service.

I’ve check everything and everything says the same number but my bank account.  I need my money. Im having a baby next month.  I need allllll I can. 

Rick5760

Okay the question is on the form ask if I got the child stimulus in March I said no so my federal refund was supposed to be 5785.00 by your figuring. I only got back 2900

00 why

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies