Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cannot view my 2017 tax return. It says I need turbotax deluxe but my homepage is showing that I have it

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I cannot view my 2017 tax return. It says I need turbotax deluxe but my homepage is showing that I have it

If access to your 2017 online return is locked because it was prepared last year in Free Edition, the minimum to unlock a prior return is a 2018 Free Edition return upgraded to PLUS for 19.99.

Are the 2017 and 2018 returns in the SAME account?

If you are in Deluxe, have you paid for it with credit/debit card?  Or did you end up in Deluxe by accident?  It will charge you 59.99 for a Federal return, and possibly 44.99 for any state return.   Did you need Deluxe to prepare your 2018 return?  If not, you may be able to downgrade. 

Has your 2018 return already been filed, or is it still in preparation?    We can tell you your options when you explain all of the above.

I have not filed my 2018 taxes yet. But how can I pay the 19.99 now so that I can get my 2017 taxes

@ mckenzie2107 wrote:

I have not filed my 2018 taxes yet. But how can I pay the 19.99 now so that I can get my 2017 taxes

If you don't want/need Deluxe (59.99), you can first downgrade to Free Edition using "Clear and Start Over", then upgrade that to PLUS for 19.99.  I will give all the steps below.   Be sure the 2017 and 2018 returns are in the SAME account.

• Once the return is open, in the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then choose "Clear and Start Over."
  • Once the return starts over, then select Free Edition as your product.
  • After some preliminary screens, you'll arrive at the MY INFO section.
  • See if there is an Upgrade link in the left menu column.   If not, you'll need to enter some info into the MY INFO screens until you see an Upgrade link either appear in the left menu column or at the end of the MY INFO section.
  • Then click on Upgrade and choose PLUS.   Do NOT upgrade any beyond PLUS, or you'll have problems.
  • Once you are in PLUS, then you need to pay.
  • In the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • At the Print Center choose to "Print, save, view THIS  YEAR's return."   (Yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for the 2018 return to unlock the 2017 return.)   You don't actually have to print the 2018 return.
  • It will ask you to pay.  If the Order Summary appears OK at 19.99, then choose PAY NOW.
  • You can pay by credit card or debit card (even though it only says "credit.")

NOTE:  If it should offer you the choice of paying later out of the Federal refund, that cannot be done for this purpose.  You have to choose PAY NOW.

@mckenzie2107 

You didn't say why you need the 2017 return.  If all you need is the 2017 AGI, there should be a free link in "Your Tax Returns & Documents".   Choose tax year 2017, and look for a link that says "View adjusted gross income (AGI.)"

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies