turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raul0412

i cannot download my tax return to print a copy

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

What tax year are you trying to print?   If 2018, are you printing a copy after filing, printing a review copy prior to filing, or printing to file it by mail?

Please explain further what "can't download" means.   Are you unable to find the PDF?   Or if you find it, is there an error message when you try to download it?

donriccardisr
Returning Member

I could not print my taxes out after I completed 2018 Federal.  Now when I try I can only get 1/2 page  I tried using Adobe but it says my computer doesn't support it

How do you normally view and print PDF files if your computer doesn't support it?   If you can't print it from the Adobe Reader popup (or whatever PDF viewer you normally use), then try downloading the PDF and saving it your computer before opening it.  Then see if your PDF reader will open it.     If you can open and display the PDF in your browser screen, you can print it from the browser instead of Adobe Reader or other PDF reader.    

You can also try downloading with a different browser to see if that makes any difference in the PDF file you obtain.

Also be sure it is downloading as a .PDF file and not as a text file (*.txt).   With some browsers, such as Edge, it can have the wrong extension on the end of the file name.

See if these FAQs help any:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/troubleshoot-printing-issues/00/27086

and

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf/00/26...

For 2018, Page 1 and Page 2 are both half-page forms, but they print on the same side of the paper.  The signature section is thus in the middle of the page.  In the right margin about halfway down the page you should see that "Page 2"  begins.

Are you printing for review prior to filing, printing to file by mail, or printing after filing for your records?

If you're only getting a half page and nothing else, here's another way to print by going to the Print Center inside your return, where you can choose PDFs of various size.

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.

• Log in and go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click that line or on the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2018 tax year.
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer 3 options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

Lingenph1

I cannot print my tax return

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please clarify which year you are trying to download. Thank you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Lingenph1 wrote:

I cannot print my tax return

"cannot print" is not enough info.   What are you experiencing?  How and where are you trying to print and what/where is the roadblock that is preventing you?   And what tax year are you wanting to print?

If 2019, have you already filed the return and now want to print for your records?  Or are you printing to review prior to filing?  Or are you printing to file the return by mail?

If you are using a paid edition, have you paid the fees for your return preparation either upfront or by choosing to pay them out of the Federal refund?

jobet4477H
Returning Member

trying to print 2019 returns. When I try to open the pdf file nothing happens

LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

Try clearing your cache and cookies in your computer settings. Also, it could possibly be your printer driver, please see this related TurboTax article Update a printer driver

For more info on troubleshooting, please see this related TurboTax FAQ:Troubleshoot printing issues

@jobet4477H wrote:

trying to print 2019 returns. When I try to open the pdf file nothing happens

Are you printing for your records after efiling?  Or printing for review prior to filing?   Or printing to file by mail?

I'm going to mention several possibilities.  So read the whole posting first.

Are you not able to retrieve the PDF and download it to your computer, or are you not able to open it directly from the link?   Sometimes a browser incorrectly downloads it as a .txt  (text)  file instead of a PDF. .  In any case, if your downloaded PDF ends up with a .txt on it, change the file extension to PDF and see if that solves it.  If not, try a different browser to download the PDF.

Or if it won't download at all, see this:
Where are you trying to get/print the PDF?   Are you using the Download/Print button at the Tax Home or  "Download/print the PDF" in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents?"   If neither of those methods are successful, or if you get the PDF but it's incomplete, the following info tells an alternate way to get PDFs at the Print Center.

If you efiled, has your return been accepted?   If not yet accepted, it's best to wait until it is, then your return PDF should also have the electronic postmark in it.  

After one has efiled and been accepted, it can sometimes take a return PDF a while to update and become available at the Tax Home, and the Download/print button may not work, or may produce an incomplete document.   If also unsuccessful in "Your Tax Returns & Documents", here's an alternate route: 

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.  If you later have to amend the return, it has to start off exactly as it was when it was originally filed.

• Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

Chipj82

I cannot download and print my 2019 return

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Chipj82 Are you getting any specific error when trying to download/print your return? Or are you just unable to access it?

@Chipj82 wrote:

I cannot download and print my 2019 return

Did you read the detailed answer in this thread right above your post on how to download/print a 2019 return including alternate methods?   If so, and it was not helpful for your situation, then you need to describe your situation, including answering the questions I asked the other user, and explain what step fails for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies