Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't print my state tax return because some forms are not yet available. None of the forms not yet available affect me so can I go ahead and file state & print later?

I did already file my federal and it looks like it will allow me to file my state (even though I can't print those documents yet).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

47 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

I can't print my state tax return because some forms are not yet available. None of the forms not yet available affect me so can I go ahead and file state & print later?

You will not be able to file or print until the forms needed are available.  Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on State forms availability for personal.

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've confirmed via a SC website that there only 3 forms not yet available and none of those 3 forms apply to me.  So why can't I continue since all forms impacting me are available?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you trying to e-file your state return? If so, did you file your federal return yet? 

Here's an article that will help you if you are trying to file your state return without your federal return. 

Can I e-file my state return before my federal? 

Please feel free to contact us here within the community with more questions too. 

Yes, I already filed (electronically) my federal taxes.  I normally do them both at the same time but didn't file state since couldn't yet print my state return.  Kept waiting for updates to see if it went away but it hasn't.  The only state forms that aren't yet available don't impact me, so I'm confused as to why TurboTax thinks I can't print my return.  And I'm a bit hesitant to file my state taxes if I can't print the return.

by the way, that link you provided doesn't work

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Help Article for information and access to the “tool” that shows the availability of forms, including when they will be “Ready for print”.

@kkidby

Thank you.  Unfortunately, that doesn't really answer my question.  It shows me that the forms I thought were ready are.  There are only 2 forms for my state that aren't ready for print...and neither of those forms apply to my return.  So, again, I don't understand why I can't print my state return.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are any of the forms you used for South Carolina unsupported for e-file? As this can cause the issue you are having. 

I see a handful that have "unsupported" for e-file but "yes" for print.  None of these apply to me anyway.  Plus, if "yes" for print, I should be able to print.  And TurboTax is letting me E-file (if I wanted to proceed).

There is one that has ready for print as Yes and E-file as 2/9/2023; however, this one does not apply to me either.

There is one that says will be ready for print and efile on 2/9/23, but this one doesn't apply to me.

All that would apply to me have both yes for ready for print and ready for efile.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

To your original question, yes you can go ahead and e-file now then print later.  

If all of your forms are available, you should also be able to print your return.  Please try clearing your browser's  cache and cookies if you're using TurboTax Online.  If you're using the CD/Download software, please perform a manual update.

If you still can't print after doing the above steps, reach out to our TurboTax Experts via phone for additional assistance: How do I contact TurboTax? - Intuit

Thank you.  I am using a downloaded version and have done manual updates each time to see if it made a difference (I check for them at least once daily).  Sounds like my only choice is to call them, which I was trying to avoid having to do.  Much appreciate your response.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

In the FILE section, you have the option to Print or Save a PDF to your computer.  Try saving the PDF and see if you can print that. 

I have tried both printing and saving to PDF.  In both instances, it tells me my South Carolina return is currently unavailable to view, print or download because some of the forms haven't been finalized yet.  However, when I go to the website that tells me which are still outstanding, none of those affect me.  I don't understand why I can't print or download mine then.  TurboTax will let me proceed and file them...but I'm hesitant to file them if I can't print or download them.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Looking at the Turbo Tax page here for when the state documents will be ready to print, I am showing almost all forms will not be available to print until Feb 9, 2023. Which explains why you cannot print yet. I would wait until Feb 9 and update the program before printing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies