Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my 2021 return and e-filed the amended return in Turbotax. Will the IRS auto-deduct the amount, or will I need to send a check?

We got an IRS letter saying they saw an error and stated the amount (and interest) we owe.  During the amending session in TurboTax I saw a message stating the amount owed would be deducted, but it didn't come up again.  Moreover, it never asked the amount to be deducted (I owe interest too).  Trying to understand if I need to initiate the payment or will Turbotax do it (or the IRS).
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I amended my 2021 return and e-filed the amended return in Turbotax. Will the IRS auto-deduct the amount, or will I need to send a check?

On an amended return there is no direct debit if you did not use direct debit on your original return..  Any taxes owed must be mailed in with a payment voucher (1040-V) or you can pay Federal taxes owed on the IRS website.  

https://www.irs.gov/payments

1040-V payment voucher

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

View solution in original post

7 Replies

On an amended return there is no direct debit if you did not use direct debit on your original return..  Any taxes owed must be mailed in with a payment voucher (1040-V) or you can pay Federal taxes owed on the IRS website.  

https://www.irs.gov/payments

1040-V payment voucher

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

@bluedeb 

"On an amended return there is not direct debit. "

There is direct debit if you are e-Filing Form 1040-X.

TurboTax will take your bank information,

@qneill 

If IRS sends you a bill there is no reason to amend unless you are disputing. IRS has already made the changes to your tax return.

In the FILE tab you can choose to DD for the balance due ... save a PDF of the return and look at what you choose on the filing instruction page.  

@fanfare In order to use direct debit on your amended return, you would have had to use direct debit on your original return.  The poster did not say they used direct debit on their original return.  

If you selected direct-debit when you originally filed, there's no need to send an additional payment by check; your direct debit applies even if you amended your return. Amended returns should not be mailed until after your original return has been processed by the IRS.

Also, if the IRS has not processed the original return yet, then there is no direct debit information for the amended return.  

@qneill 

If you filed with direct debit information,

I'd suggest you pay separately only the penalty/interest amount.

IRS says penalty/interest should not be included on your 1040-X and I would expect TurboTax to follow that rule.

Thanks for all the great replies.

I had already e-filed the amended return when I learned that I didn't need to if the IRS already sent us a bill, but that makes sense.

We ended up logging into the IRS itself, and then paying through a payment provider directly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies