Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pfehlman1

I accidentally put the wrong last name on my tax return and forgot to change it when it was pre-filled on here. Do I need to file an amended return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I accidentally put the wrong last name on my tax return and forgot to change it when it was pre-filled on here. Do I need to file an amended return?

@pfehlman1  per SSA records, if your full name and SSN does not match, the return would be rejected.  Then do the needful.

If the return is accepted for processing then  you have to get the SSA records corrected  before  doing anything ( IRS uses SSA data base -- copy thereof  and sometimes is not upto date )

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The tag below your question indicates that you are using TurboTax Live. You should contact a TurboTax Live tax expert to discuss the situation and find out what, if anything, you have to do. You are paying extra for that service.

Have you already filed your tax return? If not, just go back to My Info and correct your last name.

If you have filed your tax return, did you e-file or file by mail? If you e-filed, and it was accepted, you do not have to do anything. If you filed by mail, wait to see if you get an IRS notice about your name, or if they process your tax return as-is.

The IRS checks the last name on your tax return against your last name in the Social Security records. If you changed your last name, but did not change it with Social Security, then it was correct to use your old name on your tax return.

The IRS only checks the first four letters of the last name. If the first four letters of the correct name and the name on your tax return are the same, it will not be treated as an error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies