Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent but no one did.

Okay, so I finally figured out why I was supposed to get $2,525. It's a child income tax credit, because I had my son listed as a non dependent. So now I'm back at zero.

Has anyone from this thread received their stimulus check yet?

No, it’s not coming till 2020 tax time if you marked dependent on 2019 1040. 

BigMikeNC

YOU WILL NOT GET A STIMULUS CHECK

if you marked “someone else can claim me as a dependent” you will not get a stimulus check this year.

You need to wait until you do taxes in 2020 and then you will receive it.

I feel like there are so many mixed answers about this situation. I was just talking to a turbo tax rep about this On Thursday and they said as long as no one actually claimed you it shouldn’t be an issue and you should receive it.

It’s different if you meet the criteria of a dependent. But like I said before I’m 26, have my own career, make my own money and my parents haven’t claimed me since 2016. There’s a lot of different info out there. But if any of you going through the same thing get the check please follow up on this thread 🙂 thanks!

@ligiaa15 wrote:

It’s different if you meet the criteria of a dependent. But like I said before I’m 26, have my own career, make my own money and my parents haven’t claimed me since 2016. There’s a lot of different info out there. But if any of you going through the same thing get the check please follow up on this thread 🙂 thanks!

I would tend to agree if the checks were going to be issued a year from now.

The IRS does NOT check if you can or cannot be a dependent or if another taxpayer actually claimed you for at least a year after the due date of the tax return.    That is because many taxpayer wait for the extended due date (Oct 15) to file.   The IRS also waits for taxpayers to correct mistakes with amended returns, so the matching of returns for dependents is almost always done about a year after filling.     Many taxpayers are just getting such audit letters for the 2018 tax returns now.   So the IRS can catch this but you might have to wait a year or so for them to do it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'm dealing with the same thing and am currently amending however it takes 12-16 weeks so I think I'll miss out on the stimulus check, which I very much need. If anyone has anymore information it would be greatly appreciated. 

saborak

You’re right we provide the answers, and the EXPERTS look it over. If we’ve filed independent for 2 years and then all of a sudden claim dependent and don’t qualify then the EXPERTS WE PAY FOR SHOULD CATCH IT. just saying. 

@saborak wrote:

You’re right we provide the answers, and the EXPERTS look it over. If we’ve filed independent for 2 years and then all of a sudden claim dependent and don’t qualify then the EXPERTS WE PAY FOR SHOULD CATCH IT. just saying. 

What "EXPERTS" are you talking about?   Nobody looks at your tax return except you unless you go to a paid professional.  TurboTax is do-it-yourself self prepared software.    And there  is nothing unusually at all for a non-dependent one year to become a dependent the next year - it depends on individually circumstances that do not go on a tax return.  

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@Anya_Elise - you are not going to miss out.... it may take more time to get it.... 

this is the 'worst case scenario' if you don't get it through the amendment process.

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

does that help?  the timing may be frustrating, but have confidence you will receive it (assuming you meet all the qualification in 2020 tax return) 

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.

Dragonbutter1
Returning Member

I did the same thing trying to update direct deposit.

Will this affect me getting unemployment along with the 

extra $600 per week from the fed? My return will show no income due

to non flier so I would guess I won't be getting the extra 600 per week.

I am a 1099 and waiting 

for the new system to go online mid-may that will

include 1099 filers for unemployment.

I'm feeling like I just messed everything up and won't see a dime

@Dragonbutter1 - this is a very long thread, so please state what 'I did the same thing' means - not following. 

you could be a non-filer for 2018 and 2019 but have a job in 2020 that meets the requirements of the $600 unemployment payments.

the stimulus payments and the unemployment $600 weekly payments are not connected at all. 

WKroll

So, just so I understand what you're saying, if I amend my 2019 returns to mark me as independent, I will get whatever I would have gotten with next years returns? or will I regardless of whether or not I amend?

@WKroll -

if you marked yourself as 'can be claimed as a dependent' by accident, you have two choices to fix this

1) amend the 2019 return.  that will take at least 16 weeks to settle and there is no guidance from the IRS that they are going to immediately pay out the stimulus after they process the amendment.  Maybe they will and maybe they won't.

2) wait to get the stimulus on your 2020 tax return when you file next year. 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

does that make sense?

I’m in the same boat but I think that only if you were a eligible person to Be claimed is the only reason u won’t get it 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies