Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent but no one did.

Hey everyone,

I'd just like to say that while I was investigating if we'll get the stimulus check, I found someone who made the same mistake as us and she still got her check! I don't know if that means we'll get ours for sure, but I thought this bit of hope may be useful.

Ferarree

The CARES Act states

ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL.—The term ‘eligible individual’ means any individual other than-:

“(B) any individual with respect to whom a deduction under section 151 is allowable to another taxpayer for a taxable year beginning in the calendar year in which the individual’s taxable year begins,"

I think the key term is "allowable".  It does not say "was claimed" by another.

Anyone have a different take?

@taxingmangakan wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'd just like to say that while I was investigating if we'll get the stimulus check, I found someone who made the same mistake as us and she still got her check! I don't know if that means we'll get ours for sure, but I thought this bit of hope may be useful.

As in, she checked the box saying someone CAN claim her, yet she still got her check? I'm still trying to figure out if I should send in my amended return.

so by checking they are allowable automatically disqualifies them?  Therefore, we do need to amend it?

All the deposits were already sent out by the end of the 15th, so I would suspect we are not getting the money till we amend and maybe we get it 3 months from now unfortunately. 

@borusa Yes. She checked the box saying someone can claim her, but no one did, and she got her check. 

@amaxwell2191 I'm fairly certain deposits will be made all week. They sent out 8 million deposits of the 80 million they needed to send, and will be sending them to banks until the 24th, if the article I read was correct. If any of you are extra concerned with getting your money, your best luck may be an amended return. Although, on the IRS website, they stated they will not be accepting paper returns due to COVID-19, so you may not even be able to do that. I wish there was more clarity in this situation and we could actually contact a representative

Ya who knows, the federal government is a mess,  wouldn’t be surprised if half of us on here got it and the other half didn’t.

@taxingmangakan Can I see the source? This is frustrating me greatly.

I have the same issue. My parents, who did not claim me as a dependent, already received their check. But I contacted a tax official to see if they have any information on whether to try and amend or just hand tight. 

I guess if anyone receives their stimulus and checked the box saying they can be claimed please let us know. 

@anthokneez 

Www.cbc.com/2020/04/13/first-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-deposited.html

It's stated it will take up to two weeks to do all of the deposits.

Www.fortune.com/2020/04/13/stimulus-check-when-will-i-get-direct-deposit-irs-checks-sent-arrive-paym...

It is also stated that when they are deposited it taked banks a while to process the deposit.

I cannot find the exact article that stated the 24th anymore as there are a ton of articles about this subject. But, the 24th has been marked as the day they begin sending physical checks. So that's a pretty good indication as well that they are finished making deposits then. I also found this article stating that they could even continue depositing until the beginning of May.

Www.money.com/when-are-stimulus-checks-coming-from-irs/

It's all relatively up in the air, but from what I can find, at the very least the Tresury themselves did announce that a large majority of eligible Americans will receive the payments between now and the end of the month.

Court1106

I filed 2019 as an independent but I filed about 3 weeks ago so I’m worried they will use 2018 which I marked I may be claimed and didn’t get claimed and wasn’t able to be claimed. Will I still be able to receive the stimulus since I filed independent in 2019 even though it was recently? 

@taxingmangakan wrote:

@borusa Yes. She checked the box saying someone can claim her, but no one did, and she got her check. 

I'm sorry but I just find it hard to believe. I haven't seen anyone else who's made the same mistake get their deposit. Perhaps she's mistaken, or maybe she just got lucky. Everyone else I know has gotten theirs already, including my brother, who didn't check the box on his.

If anyone else checked the box indicating that they CAN be claimed as a dependent on their return, and still got their deposit, please tell them to let us know here.

Same here. Except I was just told that if you claimed yourself as a dependent and no one ended claiming you, you still will not receive the check. The IRS is going by what you claimed, not if someone claimed you or not. 

Any updates? Did anyone receive anything? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies