Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent but no one did.

What does it say if your not getting one.. 

Payment Status Not Available 

“according to information we have on file we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time”

This is also my current situation. Anyone have any updates? My parents have not claimed me since 2017, checked that box because I thought we had to click one of them. Very frustrated. 🙄

Findwaldo35
Returning Member

If you made this mistake, it is looks doubtful that you will get a stimulus check.

@aalanabryant  that May be the case, but i know tons of people are getting that message, even those who qualify, because the site has such a high volume rn. I know it’s likely we won’t get anything, but I’d recommend checking again tomorrow to get a clearer answer.

Definitely I’m hoping something changes..i was really counting on this check as I’m out of work now..I sent my amended tax return off yesterday..not sure if it’ll change anything but it’s worth a shot .

The question states, "Can anyone claim you as a dependent."  Answering the question in my situation, yes someone CAN claim me due to being in college.  However, I already knew no one was claiming me, and No one did claim me on their taxes, therefore, I should be eligible to receive the stimulus payment.  It should ask if someone IS claiming them for better clarification of this question.  This question is misleading and unfortunate that we are penalized for being honest.

I am I hearing this correctly then, an amended return is needed adjusting the answer to this question in order to be eligible for the stimulus payment?  Why can't we talk to anyone at the IRS?  It would be nice to hear this answer from them directly.  Anyone know a way to reach a person?  Or email a question?

Alexb12

So im 24 and for some reason my box is checked 'Someone can claim me as a dependent'. Might have been a mistake on my end. However, being that im 24, I can't be claimed. Would I be qualified for the stimulus?

I'm in the same position. I'm 22, lived with my significant other all year. I have attended no college, and I made way over the threshold to be a dependent. I had accidentally marked that someone could claim me when I filed. No one claimed me, obviously.

It wouldn't make sense for people who were not claimed but marked the box to NOT get the stimulus check. If the IRS is doing any sort of verification, they could easily see our incomes to show that we couldn't even BE dependents. There is no way we wouldn't get one. For all of us in this boat, I really hope the IRS doesn't fail us.

Sadly the only way to fix it and get the return is to amend your taxes which could take weeks. You'll get the check by mail after but it wont be for a couple months. Good luck everybody.

I am in the same position and I called H&R Block today and the lady said it shouldn’t affect it and I should still get the check.. I really hope she knows what she’s talking about

I really hope you're right @Rkburleson because I due to this virus lost my job and if I don't get this money I'll lose my house. That's a pretty big penalty for accidentally clicking on that yet saying no one will claim me, also I'm not in school, and I pay for all my household wages. I'm 23 I just can't believe a little mistake can ruin my life. I appreciate you sharing that though

When I check the status of my payment I get this statement:

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

This doesn't necessarily say you are not getting one.  My dilemma is do I amend my tax return and change my answer to NO someone cannot claim me as a dependent OR do I hang tight and hope the IRS looks into see who wasn't claimed as a dependent and process their stimulus check?

I’m wondering the same for me 

Guys, amend dont wait. The IRS isnt checking. I read they are even sending money to people who passed away in 2018. So that just tells me they are not checking. Amend and late is better then never. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies