Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I accidentally filed a state return for Florida when it wasn't needed and now it says I need to mail it in. Is it too late to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DS30

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I accidentally filed a state return for Florida when it wasn't needed and now it says I need to mail it in. Is it too late to fix this?

No, it's not too late.

If you can, go back into TurboTax, under the state taxes tab and delete Florida from your list of state returns. If not just don't file the FL state tax return. The FL return will be purged from the system at the end of the tax season.

You will not need to file in FL unless you have business or rental tangible personal property.

Florida does not have a state individual income tax related to wages so you do not need to file an income tax return with the state.

So, if you do not have a business or rental real estate with assets in Florida, you do not need to prepare or file the Florida return in TurboTax.

Please note that you will not have a delete option until you actually start working on the state. Select that you want to start the state return under the state taxes tab. The system will start calculating. Then go back into the state tab at the top of the screen and you should now get a choice for that state to either continue or delete. You won't be charged for just starting the state return. You are only charged when you are getting ready to file.

For more information about this tangible personal property return, please refer to the following link:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/tpp/

chelly2323
Returning Member

I by mistake filed for my Florida Tax Return this year as well. I already filed my taxes so I cannot delete this. Should I be worried? It told me I don't have a refund or tax due but that I should mail it to FL STATE. so I have to mail this? Will it affect my taxes in any away? Would I be charged a penalty for this mistake? 
WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you e-filed your FL return and then it asked you to mail in a form to FL, unfortunately you will need to do that since FL will have record of your return. If you did not e-file FL, but TurboTax told you to print and mail in your FL (and you were only a resident in FL and did not earn income in another state) then you do not need to do anything.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chelly2323
Returning Member

i don't have a business or anything? so i would be sending them nothing. cause when i filed i said no to everything since i didn't have the forms..

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

If you e-filed your state return and were then prompted to mail your return, you will need to mail it even if you replied no to everything. 

I also filed on accident i dont have a buisness or anything but when i went to print the document it wasnt a document it just said a couple words but it wasnt any documents so should i just not mail anything . Will it delay my tax return ?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since FL does not have a regular personal income tax, it will not affect your federal filing. There is nothing to mail if you did not have business in FL.

@Norisladyv

Thank you so much!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies