Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ashleadave
Returning Member

husband owes back child support, not me

We filed jointly only because my income is non-taxable. How can I get my children's and my money? How is it that the IRS can take money from people that are in need of it. My husband is paying his child support, but all because he got behind because of job loss, now the whole family is suffering. How can I get the money that is owed to us? From my understanding, because he owes back child support, none of us will receive any of these checks that Trump is sending out to help families. How can I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am afraid you will not be able to fix it.  Per IRS, if you’re on the Treasury Offset list for unpaid child support, your stimulus check will be reduced by the amount you owe. It's unclear if you'll receive a notice in advance—to find out if your name is on the Treasury Offset list, call the toll-free IRS number at 1-800-304-3107.

@ashleadave

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ashleadave
Returning Member

You can't call the number. Nobody answers it. I have tried many times. And it's my husband that's on it, not me or my children.  By law  they  cannot take my money for his child support. I know this because they have tried twice now and I have gotten my money back. The people that deal with child support told me this, and returned my money. So how are they allowed to take my children and it's stimulus checks?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies