Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to go about doing an Amendment after IRS auto-adjusted my original return

The IRS sent me a letter notifying me that my stimulus check rebate claim was incorrect, and it was, so they adjusted my return automatically to not include it. There is also something else wrong in my 2021 Tax filing I'm trying to fix in an Amendment based off my original filing (Schedule C income that I didn't file correctly). However when I make both changes in my amendment the return calculation is off because TurboTax doesn't know the IRS adjusted my original return automatically. Is there a way to input an auto-adjusted return into TurboTax during an amendment or what is the best way to go about this? Should I be requested a copy of my filed taxes from the IRS and start with that as a baseline for the amendment?

Thank you in advance.

I'm using TurboTax Desktop Home & Business 2021 on a windows computer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

yes, Column A of the Amendment MUST start with the Tax Return as adjusted by the IRS.  Column A is not what you submitted to the IRS originally.  

first, be sure to save the *.pdf file that reflects what you submitted to the IRS.  You'll want to save that for your records. 

Then open up the file for your tax return, and re-save it with a different name, say, "2021- IRS adjusted file" 

Adjust the questions concerning the 3rd stimulus so it matches the adjustment that the IRS made.  Do you know EXACTLY how much the IRS adjusted and is that the only adjustment?  Look at Line 30 of Form 1040; this is where the stimulus / Recovery Rebate changes will be reflected. 

Once complete, save the file.  Then re-save it with a different name, say, 2021- Amendment #1. 

Once you are confortable what you are looking at on the screen matches the IRS (post the IRS adjustment), you can begin to amend.  Column A should reflect what the IRS has and not what you originally submitted.

you can review your transcipt if necessary :

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can switch to Forms mode and put 0 on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  And enter the right refund amount you got.  

yes, Column A of the Amendment MUST start with the Tax Return as adjusted by the IRS.  Column A is not what you submitted to the IRS originally.  

first, be sure to save the *.pdf file that reflects what you submitted to the IRS.  You'll want to save that for your records. 

Then open up the file for your tax return, and re-save it with a different name, say, "2021- IRS adjusted file" 

Adjust the questions concerning the 3rd stimulus so it matches the adjustment that the IRS made.  Do you know EXACTLY how much the IRS adjusted and is that the only adjustment?  Look at Line 30 of Form 1040; this is where the stimulus / Recovery Rebate changes will be reflected. 

Once complete, save the file.  Then re-save it with a different name, say, 2021- Amendment #1. 

Once you are confortable what you are looking at on the screen matches the IRS (post the IRS adjustment), you can begin to amend.  Column A should reflect what the IRS has and not what you originally submitted.

you can review your transcipt if necessary :

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Thank you so much, I got it resolved! Huge relief.

Thank you, this worked!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies