Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you pay TT their fees in advance of receiving your refund.

For those who may be unaware, by paying TT in advance of the refund, you are not charged their $40 service charge. I didn't know this until I began receiving TT's email notices advising they were going to draft my bank account since the IRS is behind in getting refunds out. By the way, I agreed to this when I signed my agreement with TT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sorry no  ... the refund will still be sent to the third party processing bank when the IRS finally releases it  and at that point the bank fees will be withheld/paid  even if TT fees are paid in advance.  

Yes----you are correct.    If you pay your fees upfront BEFORE YOU FILE YOUR TAX RETURN using a credit or debit card you do NOT pay that "refund processing fee" of $40 (or $45 if you are in CA) and your refund comes directly to you from the IRS without involving a third party bank.    It is MUCH better to pay upfront and avoid refund processing.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Correct ... if you paid the fees  BEFORE you filed then the refund is DD directly to YOUR bank.   However if you choose to have the fees withheld  then the refund will still go thru the processing bank even if you pay the fees before the refund is released.  The IRS has instructions from you as to where to send the refund and if that is to the third party processing bank  which cannot be changed or redirected after the return has been efiled and accepted for processing.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies