melisacowan76

How do I find my refund amount on my amended return?

I was supposed to get $2900 then it added after I amended. So how do I find out the total I'll receive?
KochuK

Hi melisacowan76,

Here is the formula, math goes both way -> balance due or refund:

(1) Original e-filed return result + (2) amendment result = (3) final result.

If you have successfully e-filed the amendment, please log onto TurboTax online and print PDF file.

Inside the PDF file, Form 1040X is (2) amendment result; Form 1040 is (3) final result.

Upon IRS processing and approval, (3) final result is the total you'll receive for tax year 2020.

Hope this helps.

You will still get the refund from the first original return or still need to pay the first tax due.  In fact you should not even amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.