It sounds like you need to delete a dependent from your tax return.
Please follow these steps to remove a dependent in TurboTax:
- In your return, click on Personal Info tab
- Your Personal Info Summary will display
- On the Personal Info Summary screen, your dependents are listed just below your filing status
- Click on the Delete button for the dependent which you wish to delete
- A pop-up box will display, asking whether you wish to delete the dependent – click the Yes button to delete the dependent
- Click on Done button
- When you return to the Personal Info Summary page, the removed dependent will no longer display
Hope that helps!
You don't have to remove her if she qualifies as your dependent. You won't be able to e-file, but you can claim her and print and mail your return. She would have to amend her return later to indicate that she can be claimed by someone else, but you can still claim her if she if your dependent.
If you want to e-file, use the instructions above to remove her and resubmit your return.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
the rule is CAN she be claimed as a dependent not Was she claimed as a dependent
here are the rules to determine if she is a qualifying child (dependent)
1) Same principal abode as you for more than ½ the tax year. Temporary absences like for school are ignored
2) If she's not a full-time student, under 19 at the end of the tax year. If a full-time student under 24 at the end of tax year.
Full -time means an individual who during each of 5 calendar months during the calendar year in which the taxable year of the taxpayer begins is a full-time student at an educational organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii), or is pursuing a full-time course of institutional on-farm training under the supervision of an accredited agent of an educational organization described in or of a State or political subdivision of a State.
3) Hasn’t provided over ½ his/her own support
4) hasn't filed joint return if married (other than to claim refund of taxes paid)