Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melissabh

How can Turbo Tax fix a mistake they made on my last year taxes that has caused the state of MN to keep $1,957 from me?

Due to how Turbo Tax filed my taxes with the state of MN last year I'm still battling with the state of MN - they're holding $1,957 of mine ... Does Turbo Tax have any way of fixing this so I can get the $1,957 that is mine? Long story short ... on my state taxes, I made a mistake and entered my W2 twice (so, I entered my MN state taxes of $1,957 twice) which caused Turbo tax to calculate that MN owed me a refund of $2,114. If I had entered my W2 correctly and only once, it would have calculated that MN only owed me a refund of $157. But then Turbo Tax would NOT let me correct the form. Instead it forced me to fill out an amended tax form - which then calculated that I owed the state of MN an amount of $1,957. So... if the state of MN processed the tax form and the amended tax form together and gave me a refund of $2,114 and I paid them $1,957 then the net effect would be a $157 refund to me. HOWEVER - the state of MN amended my first tax form and refunded me $157 and then ALSO cashed my $1,957 check and HAS KEPT THAT MONEY. So, now what? How does Turbo Tax fix that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

How can Turbo Tax fix a mistake they made on my last year taxes that has caused the state of MN to keep $1,957 from me?

You didn’t get the original $2,114?  You should not have amended until you got the first (wrong) Refund.  You need to take it up with the state.  Turbo Tax doesn’t have your money and can’t talk to the state for you.  They are out of it now.  

"I made a mistake and entered my W2 twice (so, I entered my MN state taxes of $1,957 twice) "  User error  (and how did the the W-2 get entered twice only on MN?  Information flows from the federal return to the state return.  Did you enter your W-2 twice on your federal return?  If so, you will be hearing from the IRS when they catch the error.)

"But then Turbo Tax would NOT let me correct the form."   You cannot correct a pending tax return.

"Instead it forced me to fill out an amended tax form "   Amending is the only way to correct an incorrect tax return that has been accepted for processing.

"if the state of MN processed the tax form and the amended tax form together"  You are supposed to wait until a tax return has been fully processed before you amend.

Sorry, but every bit of that was  a series of your own user errors.  TurboTax did not create the problem, and cannot fix it.   TurboTax provided software for your do-it-yourself tax return.  The mistakes were yours.  Once your return was filed and accepted TurboTax was done.  TurboTax cannot legally communicate with the state on your behalf.  This is yours to fix by communicating with the state of Minnesota to straighten it out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When you started the amendment process the program asks if you received the original refund yet ... if you answered no you had not received it yet the program would have told you to wait for the original refund before amending ... so if you lied and said yes then only you are to blame ... the program tries to direct you in the correct direction however it cannot keep you from making a mistake willfully.
melissabh

False ... the program doesn't ask you that in this case. Case being when a state tax return has not yet been filed. It would not allow me to go back and correct my state tax return before submitting it because my federal tax return had been filed and the only option it allowed me for correcting the mistake was to fill out an amended tax form. Also - there was no making of a mistake "willfully".  
melissabh

Also - this was NOT a pending state tax return. This was Turbo Tax NOT allowing me to correct a state tax return that had NOT been submitted yet.
melissabh

Is there any way to contact Turbo Tax customer service rather than get comments from Turbo Tax users, which is not helpful?

Again--information flows from the federal return to the state return.  So I am concerned for you that you may have made this mistake on your federal return and it is going to cause you future problems.  The IRS just might not have caught it yet. You need to take a close look at your federal return to see if you entered that W-2 twice and inflated your income on it.
To call TurboTax customer support
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday Pacific time.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So the state corrected the original return and sent back the correct refund  however they also then processed the amended return and cashed the balance due check you sent ... interesting ... this is exactly why you never amend a return until the first has finished processing since the feds & states usually catch these kinds of errors.  
Now how long has it been since you mailed the amended return in ?   This overpayment is also usually caught after a time and refunded to you.  Have you called the state to find out when the refund could be sent ?  What did the state suggest you do to correct this comedy of errors.
joyauff

Mine was that Turbo Tax made a mistake & never paid the penalty. I can get no answer from anyone

You'd have a new question and explain what you're taking about.  TurboTax doesn't pay penalties, or taxes, for you in any circumstances.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies