turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I received a letter from the IRS stating that they did not received my 2017 state tax return. I know I filed but maybe they didn't receive my check. Help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hi, I received a letter from the IRS stating that they did not received my 2017 state tax return. I know I filed but maybe they didn't receive my check. Help.

You wrote:  " I received a letter from the IRS stating that they did not received my 2017 state tax return. I know I filed but maybe they didn't receive my check."

The IRS handles a Federal return.    Was that a typo, and did you mean your state tax agency?   So please clarify if you are referring to a Federal return or a state return.  Is the letter from the IRS or a state tax agency?

"maybe they didn't receive my check"

Did you have taxes due that you paid by check that was never cashed?

Log into your online TurboTax account.   At the Tax Home go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Expand that section and choose tax year 2017.    What is shown for the "status" of the 2017 Federal and state returns?

Yes, sorry, the state of California contacted me. I’m

When I scroll to my “filed California tax return” it says: Accepted.

@sabrenahall7 wrote:
When I scroll to my “filed California tax return” it says: Accepted.

Be sure you are looking in the section for tax year 2017 in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."    You'll need to expand that section to see 2017.

Are you certain they are saying the 2017 return was not received, or are they asking about a 2017 payment not received?

You can phone the TurboTax free Audit Support Center for help with your letter from the California state tax agency.  First have them double-check that they are also showing it was efiled successfully and accepted.

Discuss the instructions in your letter with them.    And ask them what you need to include with your return when you mail it to the CA state tax agency that proves it was efiled on time and accepted.     Do  you have any saved email from back then that has the acceptance notice?    There may be an "Electronic Postmark" in your return PDF's paperwork that also shows it.

You mentioned a check above, but didn't mention if it was cashed or not.   Did you have 2017 California taxes due, and if so, have they been paid?   The Audit Support Center can advise you on that, too.   You may need to enclose proof that they were paid in the packet you mail to the CA state tax agency.

To get the phone number for the Audit Support Center go to the page linked below, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts.  The page will say "IRS letters", but they also help with state letters.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Also, I'm going to ask one of the SuperUsers actually familiar with California returns to review this thread to see if there is anything else that needs to be considered.   @TomYoung  Are you please able to review when you are next in the forum in case there are any other suggestions.   Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies