turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello. I sent the federal and state forms by mail in April 2nd but I haven't got the refund. The IRS check status tool does not find it. Should I send it again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Hello. I sent the federal and state forms by mail in April 2nd but I haven't got the refund. The IRS check status tool does not find it. Should I send it again?

It takes a LONG time for the IRS to process mailed returns.

It can take 3-4 weeks  (or longer since the IRS is backlogged) for anything to show up on the IRS site when you mail a tax return.  Expect 6-8 weeks  -- or longer--  for complete processing of a mailed return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you very much!

I think I will send the forms again, just in case (now using certified mail as you suggest). Is that OK or will they complain if they get it twice?

The IRS has specifically requested that you NOT mail another tax return if you already mailed one.   Two returns from the same person can cause confusion and longer delays.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

FROM THE IRS SITE:

Should You Call the IRS?

Expect delays if you mailed a paper return, had to respond to an IRS inquiry about your e-filed return, claimed an incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amount or used 2019 income to claim the EITC or ACTC. Otherwise, you should only call if it has been:

• 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • "Where's My Refund" tells you to contact the IRS

Do not file a second tax return.

Paycheck Checkup: you can use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator to help make sure your withholding is right for 2021.

Thanks a lot  xmasbaby0. But, what happens if the tax return that I sent gets lost for some reason? (it didn't use certified mail).  Will I be able to claim the refund after May 17th? It's around $5000 and I'm quite concerned about that. 

@lucagali-gmail-c When you are receiving a refund you have three years to file a return and receive it.  So you are not going to "lose" your refund.     It is taking the IRS a much longer than normal time to process mailed returns because they are so backlogged.  While it is frustrating for you, the IRS does not want you to call and ask them about your mailed return, nor do they want you to mail another one and clog them up even more.   Try to be patient.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies