Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I purchased TurboTax Deluxe and payed around 115$ back in May.. now it seems like I can't complete my 2018 return online...! Can you explain how to fix this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Hello, I purchased TurboTax Deluxe and payed around 115$ back in May.. now it seems like I can't complete my 2018 return online...! Can you explain how to fix this issue?

Well, you missed the October 15 deadline to e-file; that's why you cannot file online now.   You have to print, sign and mail your 2018 return.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2018 is permanently closed.  You have to download 2018 software to a full PC or Mac (not to a mobile device) and then print, sign and mail your return.  If you already paid for your TurboTax software, you can contact customer support to push a download of the software to you.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt reply, much appreciated!

I downloaded TurboTax software and I can see an option to E-file... what do you mean by "e-filing for 2018 permanently closed"?

Thanks

@nissnac 

...E-filing 2018, using consumer software, closed on 15 Oct 2019.

You may see an option to e-file...but it won't actually complete at this late date.....will probably kick you out and tell you that you can't e-file..

Don't even try...just select the file-by-mail option for both Federal and State:

...print out your tax forms, sign, and date in the middle of the Form 1040, attach any W-2 forms (and others that happen to show withholding)......then take down to mail at the Post Office ...and use a tracking method at the Post Office counter so you can get proof of delivery.  

Make sure you send the Federal forms to the IRS, and the State forms separately to your State tax department  (if your state has an income tax).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Regarding New York State tax it says "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically... Because this New York State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically."

Just to make sure, should I ignore that statement as we are past the 15 Oct 2019 deadline?

@nissnac    Correct

Page 5 of the actual NY instructions IT-201-I:

"You must e-file if your software allows you to e-file your return,......"

...and the software will not let you e-file either the Federal, or the State tax returns at this late date.  It also applies to a situation during the regular season, where the user must mail-file their Federal for some reason...since, IF the Fed cannot be e-filed, the state will not be allowed to be e-filed either:

If your mail-file instructions don't seem to be complete when you print, you can also see the NY mail-file instructions on page 37 of:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@nissnac wrote:

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Regarding New York State tax it says "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically... Because this New York State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically."

Just to make sure, should I ignore that statement as we are past the 15 Oct 2019 deadline?

Since the TurboTax software being used does not support e-filing of a tax return, you can print and mail the New York state income tax return.

See this NY state website for the e-filing requirements - https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies