turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just checked my tax forms and I noticed my Children’s last names are wrong. It’s just a letter that’s wrong but it’s still wrong. What do I do??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I just checked my tax forms and I noticed my Children’s last names are wrong. It’s just a letter that’s wrong but it’s still wrong. What do I do??

Having a single letter incorrect in your children's last name may or may not cause your return to be rejected due to a mismatch between what was filed and the data that the IRS compares to.

If your return does reject due to the misspelled name, just correct it and resubmit your return.

If your return does not reject and has been accepted by the IRS, just be sure to correct the information next year when your tax return data is imported automatically.  You do not need to file an amended return to correct the spelling for 2018.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Having a single letter incorrect in your children's last name may or may not cause your return to be rejected due to a mismatch between what was filed and the data that the IRS compares to.

If your return does reject due to the misspelled name, just correct it and resubmit your return.

If your return does not reject and has been accepted by the IRS, just be sure to correct the information next year when your tax return data is imported automatically.  You do not need to file an amended return to correct the spelling for 2018.

The last name of my child on my tax return has one incorrect letter on it.  Last name should be Reyes    not Reyed

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on when to amend.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/do-i-need-to-amend/00/27607

@crbustillos

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies