Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 3531

I was required to mail my taxes in this year instead of e-filing.  I failed to sign and date the 1040 and the CA state form.  I received my 1040 back yesterday, approximately 3 months later with a green 3531 coversheet with box 1 checked.  Here are my questions.

1.  What date should I use with my signature?  The original date that I printed it out from TT and sent it in or today's date?

2.  I had submitted it early before the tax deadline but will it now be late?  If so, will there be a fine?

3.  What should I do about the State filing which I did not sign either but have not heard yet from the State?

4.  Any other advice for me to make sure this gets processed correctly?  (I know it was fully my fault for this whole mess :( )

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Michelle

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 3531

1.  What date should I use with my signature?  The original date that I printed it out from TT and sent it in or today's date?   Today's date. 

2.  I had submitted it early before the tax deadline but will it now be late?  If so, will there be a fine?  Only if you owe.

3.  What should I do about the State filing which I did not sign either but have not heard yet from the State?  Wait... they will either send it back or process the return.  You can try calling them for instructions. 

4.  Any other advice for me to make sure this gets processed correctly?   Follow the notice instructions and send the return as directed where directed. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Form 3531

1.  What date should I use with my signature?  The original date that I printed it out from TT and sent it in or today's date?   Today's date. 

2.  I had submitted it early before the tax deadline but will it now be late?  If so, will there be a fine?  Only if you owe.

3.  What should I do about the State filing which I did not sign either but have not heard yet from the State?  Wait... they will either send it back or process the return.  You can try calling them for instructions. 

4.  Any other advice for me to make sure this gets processed correctly?   Follow the notice instructions and send the return as directed where directed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies