turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Buckwhoo

Forgot to include form 8606 and filed by mail. How do I correct this?

Used Turbo Tax to create the return tried to Efile but it was rejected so I mailed it in.  Turbo Tax did not create the tax form 8606 when I filled it out.   I discovered that I need to submit it after mailing in my return.   How do I correct this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The amend function will be available after Feb 24.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

Do not rush to amend - no hurry. You have 3 years to amend and amended returns are taking 6 months or longer to be processed so waiting a few weeks will make little difference and amending too soon might just compound the problem.

To amend your 2020 tax return:

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

wait till you get your refund then amend

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies