Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Taxes for 3 previous years using TT Desktop Editions?

Just finished doing my Sister-In-Laws (SIL) taxes for 2022, both Fed and State using Desktop Edition Turbo Tax for PC, NOT on-line. 

IRS permits, I've read, allows individuals to file three (3) previous years only? So this, I would assume, would be for 2019, 2020, and 2021?

Here's my question(s): Since I have 2019, 2020, and 2021 Turbo Tax Desktop Edition still loaded on my home computer, (I'm a Computer Program Hoarder 😁), I know I can fill them out (she's retired and not much income) and is possibly/probably due a refund from her small retirement accounts, can I e-file these returns, or do I have to print them out and use the USPS to send them?

I would much prefer to e-file, but can have her sign and date when I complete the Returns.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice! Much appreciated!

Jon

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The only tax year that you can e-file is 2022.   E-filing is permanently closed for 2019, 2020, and 2021.  Those returns must be filed by mail.  And send them in separate envelopes or you risk that an IRS employee opening the mail will overlook one of them.

Yes, she needs to sign and date the returns in ink.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

PS----get 2019 filed by April 18, 2023 or the refund is forfeited.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The only tax year that you can e-file is 2022.   E-filing is permanently closed for 2019, 2020, and 2021.  Those returns must be filed by mail.  And send them in separate envelopes or you risk that an IRS employee opening the mail will overlook one of them.

Yes, she needs to sign and date the returns in ink.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

PS----get 2019 filed by April 18, 2023 or the refund is forfeited.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the quick and timely response! Very much appreciated! Especially the PS! 😊

Jon

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies