turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filing only for dependents

Hi, I just downloaded the TurboTax and need to file two returns for my dependents.  Not me, as I have filed separately.  Does the platform allow me to do just my dependents?  All the set up questions are about me.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, anyone can file a return from the Online or Desktop programs.    You need to file a return for your dependent?  Sounds like you are  using the Desktop program?   Go up to FILE - NEW and enter everything for them like they are filling it out.   Don't enter your name, etc.  If you claimed them on your return be sure to check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else's return.   Do a New return for each dependent.

Also be careful if your name is the same as another return. Turbo Tax saves the tax returns as 2023 Smith J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2023. So if you have two or more returns for people that have the same last name and first initial the second return will overwrite the first one. So you have to be sure to first save the returns with names completely different to keep them apart. Don't use the default name given by the program. You need to go to FILE - SAVE AS and give the return a unique name you can tell apart. At least add the full first name. You don't have to use or accept the name Turbo Tax gives it. I save all my returns with different names.

The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, anyone can file a return from the Online or Desktop programs.    You need to file a return for your dependent?  Sounds like you are  using the Desktop program?   Go up to FILE - NEW and enter everything for them like they are filling it out.   Don't enter your name, etc.  If you claimed them on your return be sure to check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else's return.   Do a New return for each dependent.

Also be careful if your name is the same as another return. Turbo Tax saves the tax returns as 2023 Smith J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2023. So if you have two or more returns for people that have the same last name and first initial the second return will overwrite the first one. So you have to be sure to first save the returns with names completely different to keep them apart. Don't use the default name given by the program. You need to go to FILE - SAVE AS and give the return a unique name you can tell apart. At least add the full first name. You don't have to use or accept the name Turbo Tax gives it. I save all my returns with different names.

The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies