turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tammyred69
Returning Member

Filing joint

I have always filed joint with my husband head of house hold . But I never have gotten savings credit  he has disability and I have income  with 401k .  Can I do an amended tax return and put me as head of house hold and him as dependent so I can get savings tax credit ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing joint

You can't file as Head of Household when you are married & living together.  You can file as Married Filing Joint, but not as HOH.

To qualify for the Head of Household filing status while marriedyou must: File your taxes separately from your spouse. Pay more than half of the household expenses. Not have lived with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Filing joint

You can't file as Head of Household when you are married & living together.  You can file as Married Filing Joint, but not as HOH.

To qualify for the Head of Household filing status while marriedyou must: File your taxes separately from your spouse. Pay more than half of the household expenses. Not have lived with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year.

Tammyred69
Returning Member

Filing joint

I guess what I meant was I always put his name first and with me as dependent with doing that it is knocking me out  of my savings credit . So is there away to amend and do him as dependent and me first ? 

Filing joint

When you file as Married Filing Joint, your spouse is not a dependent.  You enter both of your & your spouses information but you do not choose a spouse as a dependent.

If that is what you did, you need to go back & remove you as a dependent.

It's not important whose name goes first on a joint return— at least not to the government — but what does matter is being consistent with each subsequent return you file. Changing the established name order isn't the end of the world, but it could result in processing delays for your taxes.

You can't change who's name is first on an account you have been filing as Joint in the program.  You would have to change each information under each name & that can get confusing & a pain.

Filing joint

To add:  If you checked the box that someone can claim you, you need to remove the check.  

Filing joint

@Tammyred69  You say your spouse gets disability.   It is not the order of your names that is keeping you from getting the savers credit.  That has nothing to do with it.  It might just be the total amount of your joint income.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-saver-s-credit/00/25877

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies