turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed Tax for 2023->Wife ITIN was expired->Paid more taxes-->ITIN Renewed and confirmed--> Need to file 1040-X for Tax Amendment. Please support for that

How to Process in such case without changing anything on W2?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Filed Tax for 2023->Wife ITIN was expired->Paid more taxes-->ITIN Renewed and confirmed--> Need to file 1040-X for Tax Amendment. Please support for that

Please check back. I will page Champ @pk.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@patrikshah , Namaste ji.

I see your post  and understand that you need to file an amended return  to claim  Married Filing Joint  ( assuming that you had filed originally & accepted/processed return with  Married Filing Separate status).

Did you TubroTax to file the  original return and if  so using windows download/CD or on-line.  I ask because I am not familiar with the on-line product and its screens .  Even though both are supposed to be of equal functionality.

So please tell me and more specifically where can I help you --please ?     Have you ever done an amended return before ?   It is not complicated  but just needs some work.

I will circle back once I hear from you 

Namaste ji

pk

Hi, I had filed through different website. However refund amount is same. 

But I didnt realize that wife ITIN number is expired and due to this had to pay all dependents taxes. 

I did apply for ITIN renew and it did got renewed. We had asked IRS office to file for amendment once ITIN get renewed but not sure about this as there are no communication on this. 

So what do you suggest. 

Tax_Transcript.jpg

@patrikshah 

Your explanation is not clear.  What "Dependent" taxes did you pay?

Is your spouse a US resident or non-resident for 2023?   What dependents do you have and where did they live in 2023?

You generally have the choice of filing as married filing separately, or married filing jointly.  If you file separately, you only list your own income and deductions.  You don't need your spouse's name or ITIN, you just enter "NRA" on your tax return.  If you choose to file jointly, you must treat your spouse as a US resident and report all their world-wide income and pay tax on it.  (They may get a credit or deduction if they also pay tax overseas on the same income.)  When filing jointly, your spouse needs an ITIN.  If the ITIN was expired, you still could have filed jointly, by mailing the tax return and new ITIN application to the IRS.  

I'm not clear on whether claiming an overseas spouse on a joint return allows you to claim overseas dependents, if they don't live in the US.  Is that your situation? @pk  can help with that. 

Please explain how you originally filed (joint or separate, with or without dependents), and what you want to now change (adding a spouse, adding dependents?).  Tell us where your spouse and dependents actually lived in 2023.  Do your dependents have ITINs?

And lastly, it is somewhat complicated to file an amended return using Turbotax if you did not use Turbotax for the original return.  It's not impossible, but it takes more steps, and you will have to pay for Turbotax in addition to whatever you paid for your other service.  Can you amend using your other service, once you have our thoughts on the steps you need to take?  

Your explanation is not clear.  What "Dependent" taxes did you pay?

- As ITIN was expired for my Wife, Could not claim dependents (Wife +2 kids) tax exemption. 

Is your spouse a US resident or non-resident for 2023?   What dependents do you have and where did they live in 2023? (All lived in US during 2023)

You generally have the choice of filing as married filing separately, or married filing jointly.  If you file separately, you only list your own income and deductions.  You don't need your spouse's name or ITIN, you just enter "NRA" on your tax return.  If you choose to file jointly, you must treat your spouse as a US resident and report all their world-wide income and pay tax on it.  (They may get a credit or deduction if they also pay tax overseas on the same income.)  When filing jointly, your spouse needs an ITIN.  If the ITIN was expired, you still could have filed jointly, by mailing the tax return and new ITIN application to the IRS.  

- I am outside USA and ITIN got renewed. However need to file 1040-Xamendment and will be filing Jointly

I'm not clear on whether claiming an overseas spouse on a joint return allows you to claim overseas dependents, if they don't live in the US.  Is that your situation? @pk  can help with that. 

Please explain how you originally filed (joint or separate, with or without dependents), and what you want to now change (adding a spouse, adding dependents?).  Tell us where your spouse and dependents actually lived in 2023.  Do your dependents have ITINs? (Filed originally Joint and thats why I couldn't claim Tax benefits as ITIN for my wife was expired and hence IRS didn't consider even Child Credit)

And lastly, it is somewhat complicated to file an amended return using Turbotax if you did not use Turbotax for the original return.  It's not impossible, but it takes more steps, and you will have to pay for Turbotax in addition to whatever you paid for your other service.  Can you amend using your other service, once you have our thoughts on the steps you need to take?  (Well How much Turbotax will charge and such situation can be another used case for TurboTax to support people for amendment for Post Tax consultancy. 

@patrikshah 

I will let @pk comment on the ITIN and dependent aspects.  As far as preparing the return, I'm going to recommend you see a tax professional.

It's still not completely clear, but I think you filed a joint return listing your spouse and children, and the IRS adjusted it after you filed.  So now you need to essentially file the same joint return, but as an amended return, so the IRS reconsiders your spouse and dependent info. 

To do this in turbotax, you have to pay to prepare an original return.  That can cost roughly $100-$300, including a state return, and depending if you use the DIY software, Live Assistance (DIY software plus video chat with an expert if you need help) or Full Service (expert does your whole return for you.)  Once you have the original return, you can then prepare an amended return.

Any tax pro is going to charge you for an original return first, because they need to input your data and understand your original situation, before they can understand what needs to be amended.

But you have a second problem.  Your amended return must use as its base, not the original return you prepared, but the return that is on file with the IRS after adjustments.  You didn't download the right transcript for that, although it should be in the system somewhere, and if you want to do it yourself, you need to be able to create an "original" return using Turbotax that matches the adjusted return in the IRS database.  Then you can use that as the base for an amended return.  This may be difficult for a typical consumer, which is why I think you might be better with a tax pro.

Good luck. 

Its upto TurboTax to charge for Standard deductions Tax return (No State return, Texas). 
However all the information is already there, Its just that they have to click Submit to IRS. 

Note: There is no change in Tax return or tax entry, Someone has to just need to send amendment with the same information from the Original return

@patrikshah wrote:

Its upto TurboTax to charge for Standard deductions Tax return (No State return, Texas). 
However all the information is already there, Its just that they have to click Submit to IRS. 

Note: There is no change in Tax return or tax entry, Someone has to just need to send amendment with the same information from the Original return

First, how is the data already in Turbotax? You said you filed with a different web site.

Second, if your return is simple and you qualify for free filing, then it is possible to prepare the original return for free.  

But, amending is still a problem.  If you prepare an original return and then try to submit the same return as an amended return, Turbotax will refuse, because there will be no changes.  And you can't just mail the IRS another copy of the original return, they will discard it.  You need to include a form 1040-X, which acts like a cover page that summarizes the original return, amended return, identifies the changes, and calculates the tax owed or refund due.   But you can't use the original return as a basis, because the amended return will show no changes.  You have to use the return that is on file with the IRS after they disregarded your spouse and child.

You might be able to do that manually.  If you can obtain a transcript of the adjusted return, and you can understand it correctly, you can manually create a 1040-X where column A is the original return as adjusted, column B is the correct return. and column C shows the difference (extra dependent credits and a refund, presumably).  Then add an explanation, sign and date the 1040-X and the full tax return, and mail them in.

But Turbotax can't prepare an amended return for you unless the original return that Turbotax has on file matches your first return after adjustments.  

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@patrikshah , agreeing with my colleague @Opus 17   for an excellent follow-up to your situation as gleaned from your posts.

(a) Do you still need more help ?

(b) Please note that  YOU use TurboTax to prepare a return and YOU file the return -- this is applicable  for both the original and amended returns ( if any ).  TurboTax is only  a tool that you use and you control .

(c)  Looking at this thread,  including the  interactions that you have had with the IRS, I am unclear as to  your filing status -- did you file  MFJ or MFS;  did you include your child ( ren)  ?  Why is there a duplicate return filing showing?    Why multiple  payments ?

(d) Main question becomes why you want to file an amended return?   

(e)  What visa are you on ?  How about your spouse and the child( ren )?

From the above, I am not clear whether you should amend the filed return and/or whether you should use the services of a Tax Professional.  Of course if you choose to use TurboTax to prepare returns ( the original and the amended ) and file  ( whether paper /mail or e-file), we would be very happy to help/guide you through the process.  Note that  if you choose to prepare an amended return using TurboTax, you would have to prepare the filed ( "original" and processed ) return before you can amend.  This is what @Opus 17  has been trying to get across.  TurboTax at this time has NO data to prepare the amended return.

(f) If you want to  prepare both the original and the amendment thereof, I would highly recommend you utilizing a  Windows Download/CD version -- this will keep the data on your machine ( for future use etc. ) and  you have time  ( Software being there ).  Amended return can be filed anytime within two subsequent  years for refund. 

Does this make sense ?

Namaste ji

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies