Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File Form 8453? Turbo Tax said Nothing More to Do...

Hello,

I just submitted my tax returns electronically and Turbo Tax said everything is completed.  I got the "federal return accepted by IRS" via text.  My state returns require me to mail my return in and as such, also needed me to include a copy of my Federal returns.  When I printed my Federal return, only then did I notice in the "What you need to mail" section that it wants me to mail by Form 8453 for a 1098-C car donation I filed.

I would not have seen this if I was not forced to print my Federal return out in order to complete my State return.  Do I need to do this since it wasn't asked of me during the online submission or not?  I don't mind doing it but I would have hoped that the warning of needing to submit something would have popped up when I e-filed my Federal return.  I'm not sure if I need to or not.  I have the forms and thinking of just mailing it in anyways but I also don't want to complicate the IRS returns and delay my refund if they receive something they aren't expecting.

Please help!

chebbie427

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you do need to mail the 8453 in with the 1098C.  Not sure why TurboTax didn't alert you of this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the confirmation.  I figured as much but was really surprised that ATurboTax failed to inform me about it.  Thank goodness my State isn't good enough to accept efile.... (usually so frustrating) and forced me to print my Federal taxes out and I caught it.

Should I just send that form or the entire Federal return to them.  Do I need to put in a sheet indicating that I already efiled so they don't think it needs to be filed again?  I don't want to cause confusion with the IRS...

Thanks again!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Just send the 2 pages (8453 and 1098C).  Be sure to keep a copy.    You do not need to include your tax return; they already have it and you are right, it will cause confusion.  

Mail Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for all the assistance!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies