turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ML0826

Federal Return from Amended

I filed my taxes and mailed it in. I have recieved my state but no federal yet. What is the process after state is done with thier part. Do they seal it back up in an envelope and mail it to federal or enter the information in the computer? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What?  No, they do not seal up your envelope and forward it to a different tax authority.  State and federal returns have to be sent in separate envelopes to the separate addresses for federal and state.  If you sent both to the same tax authority, one ended up in a shredder.  

If you amended both federal and state tax returns and mailed it all to the state, the IRS did not get your Form 1040X at all.  You will need to send it again.  It is now possible to e-file an amended federal return--or you can print it and mail it again if you want to.  Go back in to your account--click Add a State to get back in--and go through the FILE section again to either e-file the amended federal return or print it again for mailing.  And if you mail it -- pay attention to the mailing instructions that tell you where to mail it to.  

Use a mailing service that will track it so you know the IRS received it--like certified mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It is actually not clear whether you amended your return---you used the word amended in part of your post.  Nevertheless, you have to send your tax returns separately to the IRS and state.  If you send both to only one address in one envelope, one did not make it to the right place.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies