Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jade
Level 2

Extension

My extension was accepted but I realize I made a mistake on it by putting 0 on tax liability.  I will be getting a refund so I thought tax liability would be 0.  Can I correct this? Everything is 0 excepted for the amount that has already been paid in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Extension

There is no amend to an extension.  An extension only extends the time you have to file your return, so as long as you put the correct information on your return, you will be OK.  Any taxes owed must be paid by April 15, 2019 to avoid a penalty & interest.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Extension

There is no amend to an extension.  An extension only extends the time you have to file your return, so as long as you put the correct information on your return, you will be OK.  Any taxes owed must be paid by April 15, 2019 to avoid a penalty & interest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extension

If you do not owe any taxes at the time of the extension, Form 4868 line 6 should be 0, but you are referring to the tax liability reported, line 5. That is not as important as line 6, ehich you entered correctly.

If you were to owe tax in the future,there are several ways the IRS accepts payment including installments: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901676-how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes

Here is a resource to see how much the penalties and interest could be if you did owe...it compounds daily. This link looks like it is not for individuals, but it is for individuals. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/understanding-penalties-and-interest
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies