Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eFile Rejected

My eFile is being rejected because my wife's AGI is incorrect.  We filed jointly, so her AGI should be identical to mine.  anyway, I think it's because we filed using a TIN for her last year (didn't think her SSN would be issued in time - it wasn't) and this year we are filing with her never before used SSN.  

I talked to the IRS last July and they updated her records with her SSN.  We didn't get stimulus because of her status.  Due to this odd situation.  Should her AGI be zero?  or am I going to have to file by mail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

eFile Rejected

Since you filed a joint return last year, the AGI for each of you should be the same.  However, your wife's SSN is not in the IRS system as being on a previous return, so enter zero for her AGI.

If you know the 5-digit signature ID (aka self-select PIN) you used to sign last year's return, you can use that in lieu of your AGI. 

Please see this TurboTax Help article for more information:  

TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN ...

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

eFile Rejected

Since you filed a joint return last year, the AGI for each of you should be the same.  However, your wife's SSN is not in the IRS system as being on a previous return, so enter zero for her AGI.

If you know the 5-digit signature ID (aka self-select PIN) you used to sign last year's return, you can use that in lieu of your AGI. 

Please see this TurboTax Help article for more information:  

TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN ...

sf61

eFile Rejected

My efile was rejected multiple times, realized that IRS is WAAAY behind, and since my last return was really late and very small return.... I put in "0" AGI for both Taxpayer and spouse. Went right through!   

Last year's AGI just  Not processed yet by the IRS. 😒

eFile Rejected

Regardless , my efiling has been rejected several times without explanation. I kept reviewing and filing still it gets rejected. I got message via text, it stated that I should check my email. No email ever arrived.
Never had this problem before. I PROVIDED CORRECTED IDENTIFICATION . STILL NO SUCCESS

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

eFile Rejected

To confirm, you have not received a reason why your e-file was rejected?  Have you double-checked your email address is up to date?  To review/change your email address, please see the Help Article here.  For generic instructions on how to correct a Rejected return, please see this Help Article.  

@MEANER1930

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

eFile Rejected

My 2021 efile was rejected for "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records."

I missed filing my 2020 return by the due date and therefore wasn't permitted to efile, so I mailed it in.  The refund took around 7 months, but it finally issued.  Because I didn't efile for 2020, I didn't have a "Self-select PIN" for 2020.  My 2020 AGI was correctly saved by TurboTax, but just to be sure, I downloaded a transcript of my 2020 return from the IRS.  The AGI was as I had entered it.

I really don't want to mail my return and wait another 7 months for my refund.  Any suggestions?

eFile Rejected

@ Pete66 wrote:

My 2021 efile was rejected for "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records."

I missed filing my 2020 return by the due date and therefore wasn't permitted to efile, so I mailed it in.  The refund took around 7 months, but it finally issued.  Because I didn't efile for 2020, I didn't have a "Self-select PIN" for 2020.  My 2020 AGI was correctly saved by TurboTax, but just to be sure, I downloaded a transcript of my 2020 return from the IRS.  The AGI was as I had entered it.

I really don't want to mail my return and wait another 7 months for my refund.  Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why you were "not permitted" to efile your 2020 return unless you were very late in filing.   Each year TurboTax does not shut down efiling until late October, so efiling is possible until then.  In any case, to solve your current rejection problem you should try using a 2020 AGI of 0.  Here's why:

If you filed late, and the 2020 paper return wasn't processed for 7 months, then the IRS would not have your 2020 AGI in the database they use for verification purposes--even though you say they have it in your transcript, which is not what is used.   In order to make it into the special IRS database used for verification, a 2020 return would have to be fully processed prior to late November 2021 or so.   So in your case, you should use a 2020 AGI of 0 to verify, and that should (hopefully) let you efile.

As you likely saw with your first efile attempt, a screen will also have you "sign" the return by choosing a new 5-digit Self-Select PIN when prompted.  It will say choose any 5 digits.  It's on a screen with today's date and your birthdate. 

eFile Rejected

I had obtained an extension to file until October 15, which was a Friday.  I tried to efile on the following Monday, October 18.  Perhaps that was late enough in October that TT had shut down its efile service.  In any rate, I was unable to efile.

I'll try the 0 AGI and let the community know what happens.

eFile Rejected

Thanks.  The zero AGI worked.  Because of the tremendous COVID-related backup at the IRS, my 2020 return wasn't even processed until well after April 2021, far into the 2021 tax filing season.  I'm surprised that the IRS doesn't periodically update its verification database, but thanks again for your help.

eFile Rejected

@Pete66   Great!  You're welcome.  I'm glad it worked.  Good luck.

eFile Rejected

For awhile my e-file kept getting rejected because it said my AGI was wrong. It turned out I had setup an ID.ME account and forgot. If you can't seem to e-file, I would try and login to the ID.ME and find the ID Pin page with the IRS and login or create an account and then get the ID Pin and add it to your turbotax. It will be in the other section, just search in turbotax "ID Pin" and then say take me to that page.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies