Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does it matter that I am an international student filing for taxes? Where can I add that information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Does it matter that I am an international student filing for taxes? Where can I add that information?

If you are on a J1 visa or F1 visa and have been here 5 years or less, you are considered a nonresident and cannot file using TurboTax.  TurboTax is only for US citizens and US residents.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.  

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@ farhahazem11  asked:  "Does it matter that I am an international student filing for taxes? Where can I add that information?"

Yes, it matters a lot.  You may or may not even be able to use TurboTax for your return, depending on your situation.   You first need to determine if you qualify to use TurboTax.    TurboTax can only prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."   TurboTax cannot prepare Form 1040NR/NR-EZ for non-resident aliens.   So you first need to determine how you are classified.

What type of visa are you here under?   When did you first come to the USA, and how long have you been here?

Once you respond, I can ask someone familiar with international filing circumstances to assist you.  If it turns out you can't use TurboTax, we can tell you about an affiliate partner (Sprintax--one "t") that can prepare non-resident returns for international filers.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you are on a J1 visa or F1 visa and have been here 5 years or less, you are considered a nonresident and cannot file using TurboTax.  TurboTax is only for US citizens and US residents.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.  

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies