turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

louiec21

Does e-file also help me pay the underpayment penalty or I have to wait for IRS to inform me?

turbo already calculated my underpayment penalty but it seems not to include it in my due.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JuttaS
Employee Writer

Does e-file also help me pay the underpayment penalty or I have to wait for IRS to inform me?

The underpayment penalty (charged if you don't pay enough in estimated taxes throughout the year) should be accounted for in your tax due amount; if you're getting a refund, it will also be reflected in the refund (which will be less than if you didn't have the underpayment penalty). You can efile with an underpayment penalty, it's simply part of your overall tax due/refund amount.

The late-payment, late-filing, and interest penalties are handled by the IRS, but that wouldn't apply to this situation.

louiec21

I see, thanks. I have a payment due and the penalty should be added into it, correct?

JuttaS
Employee Writer

That is correct, it's not separate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies