Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mfrancis03
Returning Member

Diester tax relief fund ?

Last year in 2020 tax return IRS deducted $1400 and $1200 which we received for Covid funds
For 2021 tax return I have checked if you took distribution between 2018 and 2020 if this correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
mfrancis03
Returning Member

Disaster Tax Relief:
Check if you took a disaster distribution between 2018 and 2020?  I HAVE CHECKED THIS BOX
Our tax refund for 2020 was deducted by $1400 and $1200 which we received in 2019 and 2020.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE TO UNCHECK THIS BOX BECAUSE IRS DEDUCTED THIS AMOUNT LAST YEAR  TAX REFUND
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Do not check that you took a 'Disaster Distribution' unless you did withdraw an amount from your 401(k) or IRA in 2020.  This was a COVID action that was allowed without penalty and could be taxed over a three year period if you chose.

For 2021 you are reporting the third economic impact payment (3EIP) and if applicable any advance child tax credit (ACTC).

1. The 3EIP was $1,400 for each person on the tax return and was received in 2021. Use the Federal Review tab at the top to make sure you are entering the information.  Enter only the amount you actually received before filing this return because you want to be sure you get all you are entitled which is reconciled using the Recover Rebate Credit (RRC).
  2. The ACTC was to be paid at an amount of half for each child based on the qualifying child dependents on the 2020 return. See this under the Deductions and Credits tab. Again, put down only what you actually received, if applicable.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is anyone else having a problem unclicking that box?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried clearing your cache and deleting your cookies, then refreshing to see if you are unable to uncheck this box? This may help. Assistance with doing so has been provided by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am completely unable to uncheck that box. I am also unable to change the status of the checked box by going back into my deductions section and re-answering all the questions. This box is checked, it is preventing me from filing my taxes, and it is not supposed to be checked. How do I uncheck it? I have cleared my cache and my cookies multiple times.

I am completely unable to uncheck that box. I am also unable to change the status of the checked box by going back into my deductions section and re-answering all the questions. This box is checked, it is preventing me from filing my taxes, and it is not supposed to be checked. How do I uncheck it? I have cleared my cache and my cookies multiple times.

I'm having the same issue!!! I've spent the last two nights, hours on end on the phone and in a chat with turbo tax!!! their software is terrible for this! it won't save the **bleep** unchecked correction!!!! they even viewed my computer screen multiple times and still can't figure it out. the best they found is that when that box is selected (I never selected the box to begin with), it creates an automatic 1099-r form in your tax tools. I've gone in there multiple times to delete that form with them and it keeps auto populating! their tech team can't solve it, and they have no work around for it as of right now besides print out the taxes and mail them in (what a great solution), or delete everything and start over. Problem is that even if I delete everything I have no guarantee that it won't repopulate! I have no clue how that box even got selected! 

Vanium

I have done this and it doesn't fix my issue I am still unable to uncheck the box.

I have spent 15+ hours of my life trying to fix this issue to file my taxes. I have decided I am breaking up with Turbo Tax. I just filed my taxes with H&R Block and it took me less than an hour from start to finish, I got the same refund as on Turbo Tax, and it costs me less than half of what Turbo Tax usually costs me. AND I didn't have to deal with the nightmare of the box being checked for me over and over again. Sorry not sorry Turbo Tax, we're done.

Same issues, and the response is to delete my cookies? Is this 1995? What a garbage website.

I also have this issue and am unable to complete my taxes. I am unable to uncheck "Check if you took a disaster distribution between 2018 and 2020"

I have tried multiple browsers and private mode.

JKatherman
Returning Member

I'm having the EXACT same issue as well, that box is checked and it won't uncheck no matter what I do.. Is anyone at TurboTax helping us / this problem?  I'd hate to have to switch to some other tax preparation service as well?!

Please help, as this is obviously a fairly common issue.. seemingly?

HELP!! 

taxyfaxy

Please fix this issue! I cannot uncheck the box and cannot efile and I cannot pay Intuit Turbotax my fee to help their bottom line!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies