turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deployed filing state taxes

Been deployed since Feb 2019 to Afghanistan. I still get state taxes taken out. How would I go about filing my taxes and what can I do to exmept myself from having them taking out in the future. Ill b
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

To file your returns, you have two (2) choices.  File on paper by mailing in or efile using software such as TurboTax.  You may be eligible for free filing with TurboTax.  Just go to TurboTax.com and start for free.  There is help available through your legal office or base volunteer tax assistance office as well. 

NOTE:  You do get an automatic extension of 6 months if you are in a combat zone. Your return will not be due until 6 mos after you return from deployment. 

To see how your state handles military income go here.

To update your withholding you also have two choices.  On paper with forms available in your finance office or online at Mypay.  For more information check out this helpful link or visit your legal office.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

To file your returns, you have two (2) choices.  File on paper by mailing in or efile using software such as TurboTax.  You may be eligible for free filing with TurboTax.  Just go to TurboTax.com and start for free.  There is help available through your legal office or base volunteer tax assistance office as well. 

NOTE:  You do get an automatic extension of 6 months if you are in a combat zone. Your return will not be due until 6 mos after you return from deployment. 

To see how your state handles military income go here.

To update your withholding you also have two choices.  On paper with forms available in your finance office or online at Mypay.  For more information check out this helpful link or visit your legal office.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies