turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent filed “not claimable” incorrectly. I claimed them…

Not sure how to proceed. My 19 year old living with me dependent filed his return back in February before he had all of his W2’s. When he filed, he selected he could not be claimed as dependent on my return. He asked about how to add the late W2 after he filed. I told him we’d amend it later no biggie, it was for only a couple days work and no taxes were taken out. We went to do the amendment 2 days ago for the W2 and double checked everything and found the “not able to be claimed as dependent” box checked. So I added the W2 and corrected the dependent box and filed his amendment e-file for Fed and mail for state. E-file Fed amendment already accepted. Filed mine last night and got rejected with the dependent SSN error matching a non-dependent return. If it was for a refund I wouldn’t care but I owe both Fed and state and April 18th is 2 days away. I assume since they were rejected the direct debit isn’t going to happen Monday as scheduled. My return is correct but it’s the one being rejected. How do I fix this the right way and still pay on time to avoid penalties and late fees?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will have to print and mail your tax return since the amendment on your son's tax return will not be processed for at least 4 months if not longer.

You can pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

In TurboTax when asked how you are going to pay the taxes owed select the option to pay by mailing a check and then do not mail a check.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You will have to print and mail your tax return since the amendment on your son's tax return will not be processed for at least 4 months if not longer.

You can pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

In TurboTax when asked how you are going to pay the taxes owed select the option to pay by mailing a check and then do not mail a check.

So don’t send a check by the 18th? Won’t that mean I incur late fees/penalties? My assumption on handling it was to pay online on the 18th and mail the returns so they already had the money and I wouldn’t get late fees but the return wouldn’t be processed until they get to it. 

@Stevep0070 wrote:

So don’t send a check by the 18th? Won’t that mean I incur late fees/penalties? My assumption on handling it was to pay online on the 18th and mail the returns so they already had the money and I wouldn’t get late fees but the return wouldn’t be processed until they get to it. 

If you pay the federal taxes owed on or before April 18 on the IRS website then your 2021 taxes were paid on time so there is no penalty.

If you mail the tax return on or before April 18, 2022 then the tax return was timely filed and there is no penalty.  The postmark stamp on the envelope is used by the IRS for determining when the tax return was filed.

Sorry, I misread your first response. Thank you for the advice. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies