turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

@memacd62173  We are both trying to get the same point across, as I have said the same thing in other posts.

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

@LeonardS 

No that doesn’t.  Did you actually read this? It is an estimator and a way for people to sign up if they HAVE NOT been required to file taxes.  Turbo tax employees are just sharing any and all links dealing with the stimulus checks whether they apply or not. 

Just so we're all on the same page here:

The SBTPG website says that you will receive a paper check if:

You paid fees through SBTPG and:

You received a paper check originally

Or

Got paid on a card issued through SBTPG.

Otherwise, it is a direct deposit.

The question people are asking is, do the TT cards count as Direct Deposit or is it a card that was issued through SBTPG. That being said, I do not believe that TT Card was issued by SBTPG.

I got the refund advance on my turbo tax card. But the direct deposit on my tax return does indeed match my turbo card , so I would be fine then? 

@mrkprrt23 - i get what you are saying, but think about it this way....and it's the way i see it after reading the SBPTG website and a part of the contract that someone posted on this community board. 

if you want TT to withhold the fees from the refund, it appears to be set up to flow to SBPTG first so that they guarantee that TT gets the fees before the taxpayer gets the rest of the refund.  Sure, YOUR account is set up in advance but you don't see the money until after the fees are withheld.  THE IRS WAS INSTRUCTED TO SEND THE MONEY TO a bank account at SBPTG and SBPTG's 'checking account' is at Greendot (SBPTG is a non-banking sub of Greendot).. Once the fees were removed, the rest of the money was put on a card that SBPTG gave you but the money is at Greendot as they are FDIC insured.  SBPTG is not a bank and not FDIC insured

The only instruction that the IRS had was to send the refund (not talking about the stimulus rebates) to SBPTG.  And if you read SBPTG's FAQ that they posted today they state that anyone who received a card via them WILL RECEIVE A CHECK from the IRS related to the stimulus!  because they don't want all these 000's of rebates to come to them as they were not hired to be the conduit for that - only to be the conduit for the fees from the tax returns themselves! 

that is the way I see it and the proof for all of us will be in a few days when the direct deposits occur, 

I just spoke with a TurboTax representative and 100% is a yes or stimulus payments will be direct deposited onto our TurboTax Visa card

@NCperson  I get that logic. But then what about the people who direct deposited to their own accounts. If the IRS only instructions are to send our funds to SBTPG first, then how do they get the direct deposit information at that point? Because in the SBTPG website, it states that if you paid fees, then got a Direct Deposit, your stimulus would be direct deposited. And in turn, what about state taxes? If our account information is not submitted with our tax return, how would we be receiving our state refund on our TT card as well? Our TT card accounts are created immediately, and not through SBTPG otherwise we would have needed a separate account for state returns.

Pretty pathetic TT can’t even clear up that confusion and let us know who was a card through STPG and who’s is Greendot. My taxes have the same direct deposit info as my TT card which says Green Dot bank! 

I have that [social security number removed] on both my tax return and my turbo card. I also got a refund advance. So I don’t get the whole they use a diff account number when you have fees taken out because mine match! 

As a regular here but NOT an Intuit employee, let me try to clear up the confusion with a long but very reasoned post. (Warning: These are my conclusions from what is available as well as my own experience; don't pillory me if I'm wrong. At the very worst, if you end up with a paper stimulus check you can speed it up by providing your direct deposit info to the IRS thru their yet-to-be-completed portal.)

Generally, when you have fees deducted from your refund, Intuit does tell the IRS to route it initially thru SBTPG's bank partner (traditionally Civista Bank); SBTPG then deducts the fees and forwards the balance by direct deposit to your own account. (Refund advances are repaid in a similar way.)

With their update of today, SBTPG has made it clear that stimulus payments will *NOT* go thru them; they will go thru the IRS. However, they ALSO continue to state that "(t)he IRS will issue direct deposits to taxpayers that received a direct deposit"; paper stimulus checks will go ONLY to those who "received a check printed from their tax professional's office or a debit card issued through Santa Barbara TPG". (The office-printed check option is not available thru TurboTax.) This indicates that those who received direct deposits of their refund balance from SBTPG to their bank account, brokerage account, or third-party prepaid card will get their stimulus checks direct-deposited to that account directly from the IRS.

The last bit of confusion is where SBTPG talks about "debit card(s) issued through Santa Barbara TPG". If you look at SBTPG's corporate homepage, www.sbtpg.com , you will see the debit card they offer to their independent tax preparer customers -- a Walmart MoneyCard, *NOT* a Turbo Card. Though both are issued by Green Dot Bank (whose parent also owns SBTPG), the Turbo Card is a direct relationship between Intuit and Green Dot Bank (as indicated by its Intuit branding); the SBTPG-issued Walmart MoneyCard is part of a multifaceted relationship between independent tax preparers, SBTPG, Green Dot Bank, and Walmart that includes other refund options *not* offered thru TurboTax. Turbo Cards are available thru TurboTax regardless of whether or not you elect to have SBTPG deduct TurboTax fees from your refund.

My guess is that SBTPG does *not* provide independent tax preparers with the direct deposit info from SBTPG-issued Walmart MoneyCards; thus the preparer did not send that info to the IRS as part of the actual electronic return. (Presumably, that allows the preparer's customers to choose between SBTPG's non-direct deposit options after the return is transmitted.) Intuit, however, obtains the direct deposit info for Turbo Cards directly from Green Dot Bank once you elect the Turbo Card as your refund option, and apparently *does* provide that info to the IRS on its returns.

In conclusion, I believe that *all* 2019 Turbo Card customers will get their stimulus checks direct deposited onto their Turbo Cards (same as with regular bank accounts), whether they had fees and/or refund advances deducted from their original refunds or not. (Indeed, because of the "ASAP Direct Deposit" feature it may arrive on your Turbo Card *before* it would have arrived in your bank account.) If the Washington Post report that the IRS will start issuing stimulus direct deposits today is correct, this conclusion will be proven (or disproven) very shortly.

@RBBrittain Thanks for the detailed post much appreciated. 

Agreed. I was able to get a hold of an agent at Turbo Tax today. He agrees that our Stimulus should go on out Turbo Card.  He said he couldn't get on it but the Turbo Card has a checking and route number

Side note: The first person to post that they got their Deposit on the TR Card is going to go up like 5 levels all at once from all the "kudos" or "cheers" they will receive from all of us impatient people lol

@RBBrittain  You sir, Just broke it tf down.. And I hope your right cuz u sure do sound right 

@SoSleepy30  your money went to someone else and they deposited it on your card after the IRS sends them money. actually it's after IRS sends confirmation of funds they pay you with their own money and just keep the money the IRS sends them

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies