turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Covid-19 Stim Check with pending 5071C

I have received a 5071C letter, which will delay my Income Tax refund obviously.

My question is, will this delay or even prevent me from receiving the Covid-19 Stimulus payment, since I need to verify my identity?

Sadly, the online method of submitting info to be verified, cannot be done, since I have no active credit card or student loan.. or the other options.  When this happens, the alternate method is to call their number and submit other info, which cannot be done since all TACs are shut down due to staffing.

I am worried this may put a severe delay if the Stimulus check cant be sent if I am not verified yet.

Does anyone know what will happen in relation to the 5071C request/letter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

It is possible that the IRS will use your 2018 Tax Return information in this case.  If you land up needing to update your bank account information with the IRS,  the IRS is setting up a portal for folks to add/update their bank account information.  For the latest information on this, please follow this link: TurboTax Blog  or IRS Stimulus Payment Update.

In regards to your 5071C letter that you received from the IRS, try mailing the requested documentation into the IRS or writing them a letter.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Has there been any official word yet though on how, or if, a 5071C will affect things?

I never filed taxes for 2018, as I only worked a few months at the end of the year, so they cant fallback to that...

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Because it's an identity issue, I would expect that it will delay the stimulus check.  You may be able to get some kind of response from your local IRS office.

To find a Local Office:     Local IRS Offices 

Nas123

All the offices are closed so I guess if u have the 5071c letter and need to see somebody we're screwed 

csannes74

I'm in the exact same boat. 

Will my stimulus check be deposited onto my TurboTax card?

Arico

Did you get stimulus? i got same 5017c letter from irs and didnt file taxes in 2018 was claimed as dependent but filed 2019 taxs already in march all the sudden I got 5017c letter ..................HELP

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, The IRS is depositing some stimulus payments onto prepaid debit cards for filers that chose to receive their refund through that method.

So i will still get my stimulus even if i got a 5071C letter?

Has anyone received their stimulus that currently can't confirm their identity with the IRS? The ***holes made it impossible to confirm our identities. Easy way to not pay the tax payer right there 

I had the same thing happen to me as well. Then I found out that the IRS has a website which is www.4irs.gov on there it'll tell you where your stimulus package was sent mine was sent to my chime account which I use for last year's taxes I don't use that card anymore so now I have to do a change of phone number with chime and all kinds of hoops to jump through in order to get that stimulus check mean while I'm going to do the same thing as you you can't verify your identity because I don't have any current home loans or credit cards they won't do debit cards. and you call the number on the letter which currently online it says call the letter which is false because you called a phone number and it tells you do the coronavirus we are not taking calls and just hangs up on you so I signed up for the m Max with TurboTax I called her office today which is Sunday they're not going to be open till tomorrow but I believe if they can't help me I'm not sure where to turn. So I guess I'll keep posted an updated on here but to answer your question look at where your 2018 taxes were sent and it's going to that account exactly how many dependents you have an everything from 2018 is what it's based off of for your stimulus check

I recieved my stimulus refund 04\23\2020. I have been waiting for 8 weeks to get a response on my Identity Verfication/ 5071C form. You cant contact ANYONE right now all i can say is Stay as humble as possible and put it in Gods hands, and save every dime you get!!! 

Bayernobi

You are lucky. 
it’s been 6 painful weeks and counting we filed for tax returns. Myself and my family. The guy handling our tax returns screwed us over and Did an inexperienced job.  Now all our returns were suspended for identity reasons. After 3 weeks we were sent the dreaded 5071c letter. After another 2  weeks of haplessness , I was fortunately able to process the online identification and was successful by Gods Mercies.  It’s one week 4 days after the successful identification process on irs online. Yet the main site is still saying unable to process your returns.  Identify issues. Which has been resolved already. 
No tax returns. No Covid relief funds. And we are in HELL as we speak. Already behind in rent due to no job from my wife’s end and my job no longer regular. God. This is Hell on earth right now for some of us. 
I beg the IRS to please have mercy and look into our cases. Things are falling apart. For me and my family.  

Skye91

This is me! I filed via turbo tax same as every other year and i never filed for 2018! And don't know how. For some reason I received a 5071C letter and every thing is closed, so as i single mother i am not only blessed to be out of work but i also didn't receive the money for federal my refund, let alone the stimulus packages!!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies