turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anleanne
Returning Member

Changing dependent status

My daughter filed her return before I did, and I thought I would be able to claim her as a dependent, so I told her to say yes she could be claimed. But when I filed my taxes, I found that she was not a full time student long enough to qualify as my dependent. Now that the government is giving Corona assistance, is the fact that she said she could be claimed as a dependent going to block her receiving assistance, or will the IRS see that she was not claimed on anyone's return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The stimulus payment aside, saying she can be claimed as a dependent precludes her from other benefits like earned income credit so she should amend her return. 

Anleanne
Returning Member

But she earned less than $5000, and got all withheld taxes back, so is it necessary? Will she need to amend her return to receive the stimulus?

I would like to know this as well! I am having the same issue but mine was by accident. I did not mean to click that I can be claimed on someone else tax return. 

Will I have to amend or will i receive payment?

Even though she got back taxes withheld she might have gotten earned income credit as well. She should correct the return to see if it makes a difference. Even though she would not get the stimulus payment this year she will be able to get it when she files her 2020 return as someone who cannot be claimed as a dependent. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes, your daughter will have to amend the return.

If you've filed your return and need to add additional information, then you will have to prepare an amended return in TurboTax.  I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before sending it to ensure that the IRS does not confuse the returns.  You have three years to file an amended return.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

You will have to mail the amended return.  The IRS limits the system to only one Social Security number or Tax ID  to be E-Filed.  This is to guard against fraudulent tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You could just wait to claim it when you file your 2020 return as someone who cannot is claimed as a dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies