Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change of amount owed due to payment

When I originally filed the 2019 taxes, we had an amount due to the IRS of $5807. We included information for the amount to be taken directly from our bank account.

On 5/27/20, 10 days after we electronically filed, we decided to make a partial payment toward our balance and went online to the IRS and paid $2,396.05.

We contacted the IRS and they have told us that Intuit/TurboTax will be the party that determines the withdrawal amount.

How can we get the amount to be paid changed from $5,807 to the balance of $3,410.95?

Do we do a revised filing? Or can we get someone to change the amount to the balance owed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, once your return has been accepted, the payment amount or date cannot be changed by TurboTax.  You will need to contact the IRS using the information in the link below.  You should be able to cancel the payment and then set up a new payment for the correct amount.

Changing payment information with the IRS for accepted returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much for the information. With more research (a call to the IRS did nothing), I found the following on the IRS.gov website: "Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at [phone number removed] to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling." You also need to cancel or change the amount at least 2 days prior to the date of the scheduled withdrawal.

The call to the IRS had them redirecting me to Turbotax, which did not sound correct since the direct withdrawal information was on the 1040 - which led me on a wild goose chase until I did a search of the IRS website for the direct withdrawal cancel/change.

Calling the 888 number, I was able to easily cancel my original electronic transfer and then I set up a corrected one to be pulled on the 15th of this month through the direct pay site.

Maybe this info will help others in the same situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies