turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pjlenn

Can't register my debit card?

My father in law passed away and has a turbo tax debit card that was never activated.  I am not able to register it with Turbo Tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

This is not a TT question ... take this up with the Greendot bank to see what steps need to be taken to release the funds.  

Contact for assistance with Turbo Visa Debit Card

Turbotax does not issue the cards, they are issued by a bank with the Turbotax brand name on them.  You can't register a card in your name anyway if it belongs to your late father.  You will need to contact the bank's "Estate Department" to straighten this out.  Expect to be required to send them a copy of his death certificate and proof that you are his heir or the administrator of his estate before they send any funds to you.  You should also expect the account will be closed.  If you want a debit card in your name, you will have to apply separately in your own name.  

@Opus 17 wrote:

Turbotax does not issue the cards, they are issued by a bank with the Turbotax brand name on them.  You can't register a card in your name anyway if it belongs to your late father.  You will need to contact the bank's "Estate Department" to straighten this out.  Expect to be required to send them a copy of his death certificate and proof that you are his heir or the administrator of his estate before they send any funds to you.  You should also expect the account will be closed.  If you want a debit card in your name, you will have to apply separately in your own name.  

In fact, depending on when he passed, his account may already be closed if it was reported in the Social Security Death Index. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies