turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i put NO on the stimulus answer for my daughter if i claimed her last year? and if i put NO it will add the amount of the stimulus to the amount of the refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Can i put NO on the stimulus answer for my daughter if i claimed her last year? and if i put NO it will add the amount of the stimulus to the amount of the refund

You need to answer the stimulus questions accurately in TurboTax. More than likely the IRS will match your the entry on your tax return with what they show that they sent you. If you answer the question wrong in TurboTax it may delay the processing of your tax refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my mistake .. Im filing my daughters income tax 2020 and on the stimulus question its either yes or no. she did not recieve the stimulus because i claimed her as a dependent last year  2019. on her return if i put yes its going to ask me the amount of stimulus but she did not received any. and if i put no the amounts of her return with go up.   what should i put ?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

When you go through the personal information section you should see a question asking if the taxpayer can de claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return. When you answer that question "yes" then you should not be asked about the stimulus, since it doesn't apply to dependent tax filers.

Last year my daughter was my dependant and i claimed her on my income tax for 2019. Since she is over 17, I recieved stimulus but not for her.  20109 income tax she file taxes and she put down that someone else can claim her as a dependant, because i claimed her on mine. These year im not claiming her anymore I deleted her info from my return. Im filing her income tax and one of the questions says that if someone can claim her as  a dependant, well I put  no. (since IM not claiming her anymore) but then towards tjhe end it asks her if she recieved her stimulus.  If I put ''NO'' on the question It will raise her refund the amount she was suppost to receive (which she didnt because she was my dependant ) if I put "YES" then it will ask me the amount she received (which she did not received a stimulus).  My question is what should I click for the question on her return for the stimulus. 

Hope I reworded to where you can help me and understand my question..

Thank you so much

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The payments were an advance credit for 2020.  Since she is not being claimed as a dependent in 2020, she would be eligible for the stimulus payment.

• No she is not being claimed as a dependent.
  • No she did not receive the stimulus payment.
  • Her refund will increase by the amount of the stimulus payment.

Thank you so much for the information. You have a BLESS day

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies