Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I get my child his EIP 1 and 2 even though he didn't get his SSN till 4/21/2021?

My son is an American citizen born abroad in 2017. I didn't get his EIP 1,2, and 3 because he didn't have a SSN. But I recently got his SSN last month.

I can claim him as a dependent, but I'm not sure if I can get his EIP because he didn't have a SSN in 2020.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Can I get my child his EIP 1 and 2 even though he didn't get his SSN till 4/21/2021?

Yes, you can receive a payment for your son (though he doesn't actually get anything himself.)  For the first two Economic Impact Payments, an additional payment was made to taxpayers who had claimed a child who was 16 years old or younger at the time the payments were calculated. Since you didn't have your son listed on a previously filed tax return, nothing was advanced for you for a child dependent.  

However, the recovery rebate credit can be claimed when you file your 2020 tax return.  For that, you are entitled to a payment for each dependent child 16 or younger.  When you tell TurboTax the amount that you actually received and it sees the dependent on the return (and not calculated in the payment amount) it will add this to your tax return as a credit on Line 30 of your tax return. 

Sometime after you file your tax return and it is fully processed, you should also receive the $1400 payment. 

The only wan you will not see an increase in your refund (or decrease in your balance due) for this additional payment is if you also have another child for whom you already received payment, who will not be on this return or who was17 or older in 2020.  This is because the credit is calculated  solely at the number of dependents, and not based on the specific individuals claimed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the answer.

So, even though he didn't have a SSN in 2020, but now he has finally got his SSN, the IRS will confirmed he is my dependent in 2020 and will receive both EIP?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies